Taking something off a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone - been a while, hope all's good.

I'm been playing a lot of links golf in strong winds lately and have found myself in situations where I need to 'take something off' a shot, usually to get looking for a low trajectory with distance and a good line.

A long, straight shot into the wind or into a crosswind that holds its line well.

It's not 'overcomplicating' things, it is an absolute necessity!!!!

The problem is, I get a nasty hook (in fact, this is the main problem in my game right now).

Would people advocate -

Dropping the ball back in the stance?

Shorten up the swing and hit hard? (too much spin?)

Shorten the follow through?

At the moment, it sometimes feels like the body quits with the hands and clubface getting over-active.

So, in short I'm wondering what good players do when they 'take something off' a shot.

I think the key is literally to swing more softly. Think of how slow swing speed players get much less height and spin. You need to do the same. A big key to this is keeping the sequence the same, but doing it all slowly.

I tend to slow the upper body down but still get the lower body too far ahead and block it. I have worked hard to keep the upper body more in sync with the lower body.

You don't have to draw it, but draw tend to work better since you are trapping it more, closing the face, and generally having a higher percentage chance of a crisp downward strike (see the D plane for intuitive sense on this).

Try flaring your front foot out more. Really over-do it and work back. You could also weaken you grip slightly. Both things should help it from going left.

Take more club and swing easier. Hit down more. Or a combination of both. You might be missing the swing further left aspect if you are trying to make impact steeper (read: hitting down more.) The tendency with that sort of shot is a left shot from my experience talking to many people. You might try having the handle lead more to present less loft on the shot and that would effectively keep the face from slamming shut as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Tried a lot of these things.

Found it useful when looking to play a low shot to move my rear (right) foot particularly closer to the ball. Reduced the s**nk fears....came out as a fade, obviously any foot movement that changes the release is going to have an impact on ballflight.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The main thing is you HAVE TO make it easy on yourself to produce less speed.

I like to limit the COP shift going back.

When you do that, the ARMS AND BODY will want to turn through together, so from the top you need to throw those elements that are NOT all lined up, to line up PRE IMPACT.

Think club to arms, arms to chest, then everything through togteher.

Trust me—money!

Status
Not open for further replies.