Taking the grip ... Something that may help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fooling around with a six iron today and remembered something Brian said about right hand swings. That most people can hit any spot on the ground using the right hand only. So I tried it and it worked plus the club came in on a good plane and there was a nice full release and a good feeling of power.

Then I tried it with two hands and the right hand didn't work the same anymore. Then I realized that by taking my normal two hand grip by putting the left hand on first and then fitting the right hand over it I was weakening the right hand and changing the angle of the right wrist.

So then I changed the order. Took a few right hand swings and then without changing the right hand grip fitted the left hand into it. The feel of the right hand swing came back. A nice feeling of effortless power.

May help.

Not bad.

I personally use my left arm the most to help induce correct timing of the kinetic link, but everyone will be different. I still like the principle of what you and Brian are saying.

I was speaking with an instructor about this very phenomon. He mentioned that when he recommends a reverse overlap grip to severely right hand dominant golfers about 80% end up keeping it.

I went to the range last night and forgot to try it. Maybe next time.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm a naturally lefty playing golf righty; i can't make right arm only swings to save my life however i can hit a left arm only shots very well. Also find it as a good drill to help being with over-draw/hook problems.

I was speaking with an instructor about this very phenomon. He mentioned that when he recommends a reverse overlap grip to severely right hand dominant golfers about 80% end up keeping it.

I went to the range last night and forgot to try it. Maybe next time.

That's interesting. I usually read about people taking more of the dominant hand off the grip in order to balance things out, rather that putting more fingers on in order to give the dominant hand free reign. I might give it a try, too, except in my case it would be to help subdue my stronger left hand.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I usually read about people taking more of the dominant hand off the grip in order to balance things out, rather that putting more fingers on in order to give the dominant hand free reign. I might give it a try, too, except in my case it would be to help subdue my stronger left hand.

I had never heard it either. I believe he only has golfers try it if they are very right hand dominant and lose the club at the top of the backswing. I'm thinking it would work well with a hitting action. Just a guess tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.