Taking your grip in the impact fix position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it necessary to take your grip at impact fix?
It seems that it is much easier to get my hands on the club properly from the mid body hands position of my address. Does this make any sense?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Well, you CAN do it. Especially if it helps. But there is any number of ways to take your grip. I was just wondering where you heard that, thats all.

Thanks

I have had so much more success with mid body hands at address that it made things MUCH simpler, easier to line up, take my grip and just get ready to play the shot from this mid body hands, that when I read the impact fix thing it didn't make sense for me. I realize that there are many ways to take your grip but I was just wondering from a TGM perspective what the advantages/disadvantages are for taking your grip at the mid body hands position. I did read the info on the Manzella neutral grip but never really got it
(club parallel to the ground at arms length with the club in the left hand stuff).

After changing from forward hands address to Mid body my whole game seems to have fallen into place. This whole Mid body thing was never mentioned in any golf instruction book I have ever read and it seems to be the holy grail/Ah-Ha everything cure all for my game.

1. Easier to grip the club with both hands and position arms properly
2. Can locate target and line up body (shoulders, hips, feet)
3. Can adjust weight distribution easier
4. Makes it easier to feel the separation between the arms and the pivot
5. More aware of where your head is during the swinging motion

and probably a few more things as I get out to work on it some more in the future

Thanks BManz, Kevin and Jim for doing a great job

By taking your grip at impact fix you know exactly where your clubface will be pointing at impact - a good thing no?
Once you take your grip go to any address position you are comfortable with Mid, Adjusted, Impact whatever.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
By taking your grip at impact fix you know exactly where your clubface will be pointing at impact - a good thing no?
Once you take your grip go to any address position you are comfortable with Mid, Adjusted, Impact whatever.

No.

The problem with taking your grip in an "impact pose" is that, if you knew all the different impacts, you would have 14 different grips.

And that's just for straight balls.

I don't mind CHECKING your grip an an impact pose though.

You will grip it better that way then several other poor ways to do it.

I do not teach my students to take their grip "up in the sky" either.

That's just a way to CHECK your grip.

The problem with taking your grip in an "impact pose" is that, if you knew all the different impacts, you would have 14 different grips.

Isn't the idea of 3-F-5 "alignments".... Taking your precision grip while the whole primary lever/secondary lever are In-Line. That's if of course you want to achieve an In-Line condition at Impact which most of the time you do - barr short game shots, bunker shots, speciality shots. People gripping at address attitude is one of the biggest causes of slices and throw-away there is. Grip at address attitide (Mid body-Bent left wrist) and get anywhere an In-Line condition at Impact and the face is open a good 5 degrees. That condition alone will cause golfers to throw the club away in an attempt to square it up

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
But what if they take their grip at the now dreaded "inside aft quadrant of the ball with a leaning shaft and slightly open face"? It really depends on the individual. I do agree that slicers and flippers might want to experiment with this for the reasons you mentioned.

No.

And that's just for straight balls.

I don't mind CHECKING your grip an an impact pose though.

You will grip it better that way then several other poor ways to do it.

I do not teach my students to take their grip "up in the sky" either.

That's just a way to CHECK your grip.

14 grips? - it is diffcult enough for me with one grip. Why not one grip and change the stance line and or ball position to get the desired effect?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
14 grips? - it is diffcult enough for me with one grip. Why not one grip and change the stance line and or ball position to get the desired effect?

I am all for changing the stance line and ball position, except you really have to know what you are doing D-Plane wise.

The TGM theories on hinge action vs. ball position vs. loading action vs. stance line are more wrong than right.

I have recently learned some very new information on ball flight and positioning, and it was obvious to me, that nobody else had asked this IMPECCABLE SOURCE any of the questions I was asking.

So.....
'
That means that info sure ain't in any book.

What I was taken about is, IF you knew where to put the club, and your stance, and THEN your body, you would probably NOT grip it the same way with any club.

I'd bet on it, actually.

am all for changing the stance line and ball position, except you really have to know what you are doing D-Plane wise.

The TGM theories on hinge action vs. ball position vs. loading action vs. stance line are more wrong than right.

I have recently learned some very new information on ball flight and positioning, and it was obvious to me, that nobody else had asked this IMPECCABLE SOURCE any of the questions I was asking.

So.....
'

What I was taken about is, IF you knew where to put the club, and your stance, and THEN your body, you would probably NOT grip it the same way with any club.

I'd bet on it, actually.

Ok.... But impact alignments aren't changing anytime soon unless you are lookin to design a new golf club..

I am all for changing the stance line and ball position, except you really have to know what you are doing D-Plane wise.

So.....
'

I'd bet on it, actually.

Brian was this on your PING trip?!? (the IMPECCABLE Source)

BTW...with the 14 different grips..........I don't doubt what you are saying science-wise.....but I'm guessing this is not going to be practical, yes?

(to the degree of 14 grips anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.