Teaching kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine at work has a couple of boys who love to play golf. I think the oldest is 10 and the other 7 or 8. Anyway, he asked me if he should get them lessons, etc. because they just love everything about the game.

I'm interested in what the response of the forum is on this.

My answer? DON'T DO IT.
  • I don't feel like the level of instruction in the area is worth it.
  • It could potentially ruin whatever idiosyncrasies they have that make them unique.
  • At this stage it should be about learning how the game is played. Etiquette, etc.
  • Have fun! Anything to make it more fun - do it. "This putt is for the Masters....." You get the idea.

Thoughts?

Friend of mine at work has a couple of boys who love to play golf. I think the oldest is 10 and the other 7 or 8. Anyway, he asked me if he should get them lessons, etc. because they just love everything about the game.

I'm interested in what the response of the forum is on this.

My answer? DON'T DO IT.
  • I don't feel like the level of instruction in the area is worth it.
  • It could potentially ruin whatever idiosyncrasies they have that make them unique.
  • At this stage it should be about learning how the game is played. Etiquette, etc.
  • Have fun! Anything to make it more fun - do it. "This putt is for the Masters....." You get the idea.

Thoughts?

I agree the level of instruction needs to be adequate. I think that at first, just getting kids to enjoy going out and hitting balls is paramount. After that, I think the instruction should be minimal and focus on good ball/club contact and decent swing mechanics. Eventually, getting them to hit the ball where they want to.

I ask my 5 and 7 year old to go to the range every time I go, but they only go once in a while. When they do go, I don't pressure them at all and only help them once in a while--right now they are in T-ball and like practicing that more. They mostly watch me and then try to hit their ball. They like to try and hit a tree that is about 20-50 yards away depending on where the hitting area is set up. At that short of a distance, it helps them with club face control. I took them once on the course when it was real late and let them hit a few balls into a lake on the 2nd hole. They would much rather do that than hit balls at the tree.

You may be more qualified in teaching solid swing mechanics than instructors in your area and have a better understanding of correct ball flight laws.

Last edited:
I have an 8 year old girl and a 4 year old boy. She has always hit it great and then I tried showing something to her earlier this spring. Now she (like her dad) has lost her swing. However, my 4 year old boy is absolutely amazing at golf. He just had his first bogey on Friday. He has an uncanny ability to just watch what I do and then repeat. He is just a natural at sports so I don't really mess with him. Just aim really. To keep the game fun for them I give them "quarter challenges". Basically I give them a challenge and if they make it I give them a quarter. Normally it's from long drives or like pitching it on the green from like 30-40 yards, or putts.

PS I give a lot of credit to my son's good swing from the back and forth drill. He used to do it with a plastic club and I chit you not he looked like he was on Tour.

Mongoose,

Two bits I can offer. The first is that they should (if they dont already), find a place that is very junior friendly with lots of junior golfers, especially the 10 year old. They should be challenged by their peers and be part of a positive playing/competitive culture.
The other thing is that it is tough to know how to answer the instruction part without knowing exactly how developed mentally they are, developmental age does not always coincide with chronological age. If either of the boys truly has the opportunity/potential to be elite, they must start training now. I believe in the TPI junior developmental program, although for the super elite juniors, they should really learn how to compete early, and that includes being involved in a couple other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.