Team Golf - High School or College

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
How many here think team golf should be coached like all other team sports or should it be different?

I believe it should not be coached like a team sport.

If anyone has information how coaches work with other individual 'team' programs like track, I would love to hear that information.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have spoken to many high school golf coaches who couldnt disagree more with my stance that you should treat them as individuals. Let the players play and the practicers practice, etc. Develop them individually and the team will benefit.

ggsjpc

New
Kevin,

I wonder if it is a teacher belief or a golfer belief? As a teacher, the desire to "get your hands on 'em" is a strong one for many. I've tried (unsuccessfully mind you) to have this discussion with a bunch of coaches at the high school and div I college level. In almost every case, they think I am nuts until I tell them that I coach a college team also.

As a golfer, I'm sure they have an idea of what is best for them and if they don't their coach should work with them to figure it out.

Like so many teachers in this day and age, the desire to control every little aspect of their practice and time is so strong. Surely, the players need to learn how to practice play better and the practicers need to learn how to practice better, but you do not take a player and plop them down on the range all day.

Why do you think so many coaches disagree with us?

Last edited:
They should be treated individually, but with some team rules.

My college coach had practices that we had to show up to, some working out in the gym (but very little) and such.

I didn't mind that, but when he forced us to hit golf balls for 2 hours straight with no break or allowing us to go to the putting green, that was a bit much.

3JACK

I can completely understand coaching an individual sport differently than another team sport. I'm an assistant high school baseball coach and when we break up into individual skills groups, there has to be a coach present in each group or else most players just goof around or go "through the motions". So, I also understand coaches who demand the team work on the same thing together so they can keep track of them. Obviously maturity and the individual desire to improve plays a large part, but as a coach, you want to make sure all players are improving.

I would say that just like coaching any sport, there needs to be a practice plan detailing what gets done for that practice.

Interesting thread. I had the chance to coach a nice high school team this past fall that made it to Florida State Finals. It was my first time coaching a golf team, I am a full time instructor at a busy academy. I really enjoyed my time coaching as it was certainly a change from the norm. My take on this is that you've got to use some sense, the players should certainly spend more time on their weaknesses than their strengths. I had open range time, where I was able to see each area of the range and monitored the players practice habits whereever they were, they were not all together typically. I certainly introduced some drills that I felt would benefit each of them as a group, but that was done on occasion. Mostly, I felt that skills testing lead to the most productive practice time. I am a believer in playing more than practicing during the competitive season; pre-season, more range time. What I feel is the most important is to make sure the players are staying focused. I kept on-course practice time fresh by changing formats, playing different games, and I would position alignment sticks on the course at a couple places that may be tricky or relevant to the upcoming host course, while the team would go around the course they would each stop at that stick and play a few shots. This improved shot-making and prepared them for different situations. All that said, as far as high school players go, you can not practice short game enough. Short game shots improved their impact conditions, it improved their tempo, and of course is saved shots on the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.