Tee Height Driver

Where do you like to address your 460 cc Driver?

• Tee Ball is above the crown of the driver

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Half the Tee ball is above the driver

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • The whole tee ball is just under the crown of the driver

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I like to drive it off the deck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other option.

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an aside. I visited a clubfitter recently that told me a new study has recently come out. Basically, the study showed that spin is reduced more by hitting the middle of the clubface, as opposed to the high face contact advocated with a lot of the new, 460cc drivers.

I have been unable to find the study myself, after a google search. But, based on this info, he advised me to tee it a little lower than people typically advocate.

I have read something similar. I don't remember the exact details, but clearly said that center of the face was better, unless you are trying to accomplish a different goal. I think this falls into the category people giving the advice not staying current.

Of course, address ball height relative to clubhead does not necessarily equate to impact ball height relative to
clubhead.

Of course, address ball height relative to clubhead does not necessarily equate to impact ball height relative to
clubhead.

Totally agree. He wasn't advocating a super low tee height, but maybe less than half of the ball above the crown. Just not 3" above the ground, which some advice may lead people to try.

I normally tee it a little lower than half the ball above the crown. I really need to get on Trackman to see my AoA with the driver, among other things.

dlam

New
Some players can hit a driver from any height.
Remember when VJ Singh would practice hitting his driver from off deck and it carried 280 yards.
He also routinely teed up the ball high on the tee box.

I played with Bryce Molder two weeks ago. Amazed that he teed the ball really low. I'd say that only a fraction of the ball was above the crown. He didn't drive it particularly well. GREAT guy and phenomenal roller of the rock.

I try to tee the ball pretty much as low as I can where the ball would still hit the sweetspot of the driver, which I'm assuming to be the top half of the face. But, I don't hit up at it as much as most advocate.

By the way, I can still hit the ball plenty high this way.

ej20

New
I don't see a lot of touring pros teeing up the ball really high like long drivers.....yet.

Perhaps they are trying to recreate the feel of their iron swing to aid in repeatability.

I read somewhere that the majority of male tour players still hit down with their drivers and teeing the ball very high doesn't encourage that.

I try to tee the ball pretty much as low as I can where the ball would still hit the sweetspot of the driver, which I'm assuming to be the top half of the face. But, I don't hit up at it as much as most advocate.

By the way, I can still hit the ball plenty high this way.

shaft backward bend? :D

It depends on what the optimal tee shot is for a given hole.

Tee it low for a control shot.

Tee it high for a corner cutter or a it's wet out carry shot.

I will add this: there's a guy on our local tour who often hits driver off the deck from the tee box (I'd say about half the time), and controls it very well.

dlam

New
Just an aside. I visited a clubfitter recently that told me a new study has recently come out. Basically, the study showed that spin is reduced more by hitting the middle of the clubface, as opposed to the high face contact advocated with a lot of the new, 460cc drivers.

I have been unable to find the study myself, after a google search. But, based on this info, he advised me to tee it a little lower than people typically advocate.

Is this driver specific? I was told at big box golf store that the COG was higher on the big 460 cc driver face and spin rate is reduced if the ball is hit on the top portion of the face rather than the middle.
Has science changed?

Usually just do it so it looks right but roughly 2/3 to 3/4 of ball visible above topline!

(on a normal shot)

(lower to hit it lower)

Is this driver specific? I was told at big box golf store that the COG was higher on the big 460 cc driver face and spin rate is reduced if the ball is hit on the top portion of the face rather than the middle.
Has science changed?

He was talking about 460cc drivers. But, he wasn't advocating a super low tee height, but maybe less than half above the crown to promote center face contact. According to him, dead center contact promotes the lowest spin. However, I haven't been able to find the study he referenced myself.

Yes and no. I keep a spare set at my parents for weekend visits. Newest club in the bag is a King Cobra mark 1 driver (shallow, definitely not a Deep Face 9). The 2 iron is a cavityback:eek: forged Macgregor JNP or somesuch. Both are surprisingly playable. At least, I surprise myself...

Now if I could just hit them right off the sweetspot, and not right of the sweetspot, I'd be laughing all the way down memory lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.