Tempo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup guys
Why is it that most pros when hitting their driver it looks like one fluid motion but when I and others that i play with pause at the top..

I tried it on the range today to copy the pros tempo and popped every thing straight up in the air.. In order for me to hit the ball solid i have to pause for a brief second to let everything settle before starting down.

art

New
Sup guys
Why is it that most pros when hitting there driver it looks like one fluid motion but when I and others that i play with pause at the top..

I tried it on the range today to copy the pros tempo and popped every thing straight up in the air.. In order for me to hit the ball solid i have to pause for a brief second to let everything settle before starting down.

Dear pokerlife,

This is from an earlier post, but I think when you go thru the repeated swings and establish YOUR TEMPO, it will feel and look like the pros.

Pausing at the top provides the opportunities for many timing errors in the subsequent transition and downswing, and from my experience, depending on th RHYTHM, the results will vary from pop ups, to ground balls, and sometimes even the dreaded sh___.

So here is the earlier post.

Dear jenhaoyen,

As you probably have read in some of my previous posts, I believe from a basis of science AND golf APPLIED science, that TEMPO and DYNAMIC BALANCE are the 'prerequisites' and crucial aspects of the golf swing, and there must be consistency for the tempo, and stability margin for dynamic balance. I have also stated that IMO, ALL swing errors can be found to have a breakdown in one of the above (THE CAUSE), and therefore the error you see is THE EFFECT AND COMPENSATIONS for the breakdown in either tempo or dynamic stability.

I am sure I will be challenged on such a bold assessment, but I am comforted by being able to stand on the shoulders of Dr. Robert Grober, and Sr. and Jr. John Novosell for their contributions to my understanding and application of their science to the above.

So, concluding that I have a strong respect for the importance, in the context of your post, of TEMPO, here is what I suggest for you.

Let your body become the source of power for back and forth HORIZONTAL swings with a driver, similar to a metronome, and over 10 swings, increase your 'power level' from 50-100% of your normal swing. Pay particular attention to your dynamic balance (a free by-product of this TEMPO exercise), and while trying to maintain a rotary-dominant pattern, NOTE THE TEMPO AND RHYTHM OF YOUR UNIQUE DYNAMIC BODY/GOLF CLUB SYSTEM.

Now, starting horizontally, and selecting the power level you intend to play with, over another 10 swings or so, gradually lower the swing plane to that of your standard driver conditions, hopefully striking a rubber tee for feed back as to the timing AND SOUND of impact. During this series of tests NOW MENTALLY RECORD THE TEMPO AND RHYTHM CHARACTERISTICS of what will now be YOUR STANDARD SWING.

It is currently my hypothesis, with a whole lot of informal testing for support, that when you DEVIATE from these now PERSONALLY DERIVED characteristics, you will begin to accumulate swing and resultant golf ball trajectory ERRORS you do not want. The FIX is soooo easy, even on the golf course, and even under the highest degree of competition, just, at full power, repeat the exercise noted above for 3-5 swings REESTABLISHING your standard TEMPO AND RHYTHM, and in less than 15 seconds, launch (sorry, a carryover from my rocket scientist days) the golf ball with confidence you have replicated the CRUCIAL characteristics that control the quality of your shots.

Naturally, it would be improper and incomplete if I did not suggest/require that you have addressed, practiced and committed to "Bumpy back, keep it back" to provide the CRUCIAL additional piece of lower body DYNAMIC BALANCE AND STABILITY MARGIN to provide the best chance of another perfect shot.

Please try this, as I , in my passionate pursuit of 'golf truth' NEED much more independent testing and support to accomplish what I am attempting, that is to provide both the golf professional instruction and playing communities the BEST, science based INTEGRATED solutions for the crucial elements of the golf set-up and swing.

Thanks for your interest, and please post your experience with this approach,

Respectfully,
art

Ok i guess. What i notice is that the pros start there downswing while the club is still going back on there backswing.. In order for me to hit it solid i have to wait for the club and my backswing to almost come to a complete stop.. Is this just MY natural tempo or am i just not good enough to swing like they do?

Pokerlife, Brian did a video on what is actually happening in a swing that we interpret as 'having a downswing beginning while the club is still going back'. Sorry, I don't know the link; maybe someone will post it - An interesting presentation.

art

New
Ok i guess. What i notice is that the pros start there downswing while the club is still going back on there backswing.. In order for me to hit it solid i have to wait for the club and my backswing to almost come to a complete stop.. Is this just MY natural tempo or am i just not good enough to swing like they do?

pokerlife,

I have not seen ANY of Brian's commercial videos regarding teaching (other than those 'free' videos posted on this site, and those now produced by Golf Magazine), so ALL of my posts are 'zero based', starting from scratch as the science of WHY, not the teaching of WHAT.

So having said that, the repetitive back and forth swings, after 2 or 3, employ all of the necessary back swing and down swing muscles/slings IN YOUR DYNAMICALLY CORRECT ORDER AND TIMING. For instance, have you EVER heard, "Wow pokerlife, your practice swing looks so different (and better) than your real swing?".

If you are 'destined' to have your natural swing ACTUALLY STOP AT TOP, that will be the case EVERY time you take multiple swings.

BUT, if I were a betting man, I would bet that EVERY GOLFER'S NATURAL SWING contains a 'TRANSITION' that has (even with a with a 30 frame per second camera) the lower body starting forward while some part of the upper body STILL HAS REARWARD ANGULAR MOMENTUM. This is NOT bad, until YOU TRY TO TIME THIS EVENT CONSCIOUSLY.

So here is the BILL for this advice, PLEASE have a friend VIDEO this for you, and then play it back frame by frame WITH MULTIPLE SWINGS AT FULL POWER IN YOUR GOLF SWING PLANE(S).

The data (truth) will set you free. That is to TRUST YOUR NATURAL TRANSITION, which IMO (hopefully a valid science-based opinion), will not AND SHOULD NOT (for timing and best dynamics) contain a FULL ROTARY STOP ON TOP.

Sincerely,
art

art

New
pokerlife,

I have not seen ANY of Brian's commercial videos regarding teaching (other than those 'free' videos posted on this site, and those now produced by Golf Magazine), so ALL of my posts are 'zero based', starting from scratch as the science of WHY, not the teaching of WHAT.

So having said that, the repetitive back and forth swings, after 2 or 3, employ all of the necessary back swing and down swing muscles/slings IN YOUR DYNAMICALLY CORRECT ORDER AND TIMING. For instance, have you EVER heard, "Wow pokerlife, your practice swing looks so different (and better) than your real swing?".

If you are 'destined' to have your natural swing ACTUALLY STOP AT TOP, that will be the case EVERY time you take multiple swings.

BUT, if I were a betting man, I would bet that EVERY GOLFER'S NATURAL SWING contains a 'TRANSITION' that has (even with a with a 30 frame per second camera) the lower body starting forward while some part of the upper body STILL HAS REARWARD ANGULAR MOMENTUM. This is NOT bad, until YOU TRY TO TIME THIS EVENT CONSCIOUSLY.

So here is the BILL for this advice, PLEASE have a friend VIDEO this for you, and then play it back frame by frame WITH MULTIPLE SWINGS AT FULL POWER IN YOUR GOLF SWING PLANE(S).

The data (truth) will set you free. That is to TRUST YOUR NATURAL TRANSITION, which IMO (hopefully a valid science-based opinion), will not AND SHOULD NOT (for timing and best dynamics) contain a FULL ROTARY STOP ON TOP.

Sincerely,
art

Dear pokerlife,

Did you try this, and what were the results, GOOD AND BAD ?

Thanks,
art

Status
Not open for further replies.