Tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be struggling with my tempo. I have always swung with a pretty quick tempo often resulting in me not being "set" at the top of my backswing which in turn seems to result in some sequencing issues and inconsistancy. Distance control on my irons has also been a problem

I have fooled around with Tour Tempo, which has helped some, but I would be interested in hearing how you guys improve your swing tempo.

Thoughts?

Tempo is my swing thought. I used to not think about it at all now it is basically all I think about as I execute my swing. I go back and forth between saying "good tempo" before I swing to whistling my tempo on my back swing and down swing. It has really helped me hit the ball straighter. I also notice that it is the last thing many caddies tell their pro players before theymove into their preshot routine. I'm just a 10hdcp, but I think consciously focusing on the tempo has helped me improve it and my entire game.

hp12c

New
I seem to be struggling with my tempo. I have always swung with a pretty quick tempo often resulting in me not being "set" at the top of my backswing which in turn seems to result in some sequencing issues and inconsistancy. Distance control on my irons has also been a problem

I have fooled around with Tour Tempo, which has helped some, but I would be interested in hearing how you guys improve your swing tempo.

Thoughts?

Im just speaking from my experirnce, what helped me a ton was the whippy tempomaster club, laugh all u want but that little club worked wonders for me. Every time I got real quick on both sides of my swing, big old banana ball. It showed me when and where to be quick. I still use it, but not as much as I used too.

I hit shots with the Tour Tempo and have found most benefit hitting balls with it at golf course 'pace' by changing clubs and targets frequently.

If you hit say 4 with it, then 1 without the tour tempo, grade yourself from 1-10 on how good/close you thought it was. Keep score and track of how you do....

Otherwise easy to get into the rhythm of the TT and not get any benefit, bit like any scape and whack range session ;)

I know, I used to do that :)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Orange Whip, Shake the Sugar, Shoot Hold Rest, 3 ball drill, Step in Drill, Catch the Drop are all good tempo/sequence thoughts or drills.

art

New

Thoughts?

Dear Jay845,

I believe that TEMPO CONSISTENCY is the most important characteristic of the full swing, all the way down to putting.

When combined , for a full swing with thoughts about the characteristics of the kinematic sequence, and the less scientific thoughts of the 'timing' of various parts of the back and downswing, it is easy to see and conclude how disruptive an inconsistent tempo would be, and IMO in fact, as a result, is a major error generator due to the unreliable timing.

But do not despair, for I have found this to be quite easy to fix, the challenge being ways to help the student 'retain' the fix.

My thoughts and tests on what I am about to write have come from an appreciation of the research efforts of Dr.Robert Grober, and John Novosel, and the work of Tim Gallwey documented in "The Inner Game of Golf",and more specifically, the chapter on "Awareness Instruction".

To improve your tempo and consistency, IMO, IT MUST BE YOUR TEMPO, not the 120 mph swing you saw on TV etc. Your TEMPO can be found by simply , without a ball, rotate your body back and forth, taking simulated full swings at, say the rubber tee on the practice mat. Increase the 'power' level slowly from 50% to the level you plan to use, and pay PARTICULAR ATTENTION to the tempo you develop by this simple exercise.

Then put a ball on that rubber tee, and if you are a fan of increased lower body dynamic stability, 'Bubpy back, kep it back', and launch the first drive WITH YOUR PERSONAL TEMPO.

This is where TimGallwey comes in, and this is the most CRUCIAL phase; ask yourself, was my tempo equal to, slower or faster than the 10 or so practice swings at full power ?? If you don't know IMMEDIATELY, or worse yet you say "I think it was ..." YOU HAVE FAILED THE AWARENESS TEST. Then hit another ball, and try real hard to stay AWARE. Only count the results of the shots you can confidently attribute to YOUR TEMPO.

Try to score 100% in at least AWARENESS, and when you get to be able to repeat YOUR TEMPO, and hopefully with lower body stability, your ball striking will improve dramatically.

Good luck, and please let me know how this works.

Thanks, and sincere regards,
art

Thanks for the suggestions. Will incorprate them this evening on the range. Quick question thou.

I have searched the forum for a description of "bumpy back, keepy back" but haven't been able to ascertain what exactly this means or what I should do. Can anyone provide a simple, brief explanation?

Thanks
Jay

art

New
Thanks for the suggestions. Will incorprate them this evening on the range. Quick question thou.

I have searched the forum for a description of "bumpy back, keepy back" but haven't been able to ascertain what exactly this means or what I should do. Can anyone provide a simple, brief explanation?

Thanks
Jay

Jay,

Just click on 'art' and a small window will come up. Then select 'recent blog posts', and you will find, by the titles and first sentences of the reply what I think you are looking for.

In summary, putting your right hip back (rotationally), and taking up the slack, your body is in a down swing starting position that adds a little more dynamic stability to your lower body.

For most people that have the capability, and practice because thy have THE DESIRE TO IMPROVE, a modified set-up with their 'Bumpy back..', is sufficient to realize better ball strikes.

Let us know how this works for you, please.

Regards, and thanks for yrying,
art

art, I really enjoy your postings and look forward to learning about your findings of the relationship of hip/pelvis rotation speed to swing speed.

I don't know if you have tried it or have had someone else try it, but a tool mentioned earlier with drills for tempo, using the Orange Whip club and your suggested "bumpy back" really give an excellent feel to how the feet need to be "planted" for the body to perform the golf swing. For me it has really given meaning to dynamic stability, because I was one who would try to really spin the hips/pelvis in an effort to increase club head speed and, of course that led to all kinds of problems. So, you can count me as an anecdotal case study.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.