THE ANSWER to this hit up or down with the driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this was a great post...BY BRIAN MANZELLA:

I have the answer to these ramblings so I hope this helps....

First there is what the GOLFER is doing.

Second there is what the CLUB is doing.

Third there is what the BALL is doing.

OK?

ALL great golfers "hit" "down" with the driver. The grip and of the shaft with all great players leans forward (hitting down) at impact.

This guy who keeps talking about the launch monitors should know that these machines DO NOT MEASURE THE GRIP END OF THE CLUB!!!!!

This is the only end the golfer has anything to do with.

Now....The shaft of the driver is bowing forward enough to have the CLUBHEAD moving every so slightly upward at impact.

Do how's that-----THE ANSWER

Now...The ball---------------It WILL CARRY FURTHER at 45degrees, and Nicklaus did and Tiger and Daly does. This EVENTUAL trajectory occurs due to several factors...The Driver's loft static/ The shaft bowing forward at impact (about three degrees)/ backspin and wind resistance (as well as dimples, etc).

INTERESTING NOTE: Most good golfers play with a driver that has less than this ideal 12 or 13degrees of loft for a 100 to 120 mph golf swing. So they have to play with a driver that is TOO STIFF so thatit unloads too fast and bows forward to add the 4 or 5 extra degrees they need to get to optimum.
The poor hackers or weaker players at 80 or 70 or less mph do NEED to hit up on the ball for anything near the eventual 45degre flight IF THEY PLAY WITH A DRIVER THAT HAS 9 or 10 or even 12 degrees. They of course will hit it terribly unsolid doing this. What they need to do is have a "driving" club with much more loft, up to even 25degrees at slower speeds

Very interesting...

"They of course will hit it terribly unsolid doing this. What they need to do is have a "driving" club with much more loft, up to even 25degrees at slower speeds"

Any good recommendations? This isn't for myself, but for my dad who has a very slow SS.

redan

New
Hebron gives exactly the same answer on page 217 of his secrets and lies book during a Q&A with Bob Bush, former head tech guy at Titleist and True Temper.

quote:Originally posted by ragman

Thought this was a great post...BY BRIAN MANZELLA:

I have the answer to these ramblings so I hope this helps....

First there is what the GOLFER is doing.

Second there is what the CLUB is doing.

Third there is what the BALL is doing.

OK?

ALL great golfers "hit" "down" with the driver. The grip and of the shaft with all great players leans forward (hitting down) at impact.

This guy who keeps talking about the launch monitors should know that these machines DO NOT MEASURE THE GRIP END OF THE CLUB!!!!!

This is the only end the golfer has anything to do with.

Now....The shaft of the driver is bowing forward enough to have the CLUBHEAD moving every so slightly upward at impact.

Do how's that-----THE ANSWER

Now...The ball---------------It WILL CARRY FURTHER at 45degrees, and Nicklaus did and Tiger and Daly does. This EVENTUAL trajectory occurs due to several factors...The Driver's loft static/ The shaft bowing forward at impact (about three degrees)/ backspin and wind resistance (as well as dimples, etc).

INTERESTING NOTE: Most good golfers play with a driver that has less than this ideal 12 or 13degrees of loft for a 100 to 120 mph golf swing. So they have to play with a driver that is TOO STIFF so thatit unloads too fast and bows forward to add the 4 or 5 extra degrees they need to get to optimum.
The poor hackers or weaker players at 80 or 70 or less mph do NEED to hit up on the ball for anything near the eventual 45degre flight IF THEY PLAY WITH A DRIVER THAT HAS 9 or 10 or even 12 degrees. They of course will hit it terribly unsolid doing this. What they need to do is have a "driving" club with much more loft, up to even 25degrees at slower speeds

If I understand this post, then anyone with a driver s/speed of 120 or less should be using at least a 12 degree loft?

quote:Originally posted by densikat

Very interesting...

"They of course will hit it terribly unsolid doing this. What they need to do is have a "driving" club with much more loft, up to even 25degrees at slower speeds"

Any good recommendations? This isn't for myself, but for my dad who has a very slow SS.

So, someone with a driver ss of 105 should use a 12 degree driver????

i recently changed to a 10.5 driver and have a swing speed around 120 with this loft i get a launch angle of about 12.5 degrees on average with about 2,000 rpm backspin with a graffaloy blue x shaft i tried the stiff shaft and it launched pretty much the same angle but the backspin was like 3500 rpm so it would upshoot on me my last driver was a 8.5 jvs with a dynamic gold x100 and i can hit this new one alot higher and about 15 to 20 yards more carry wich means i can go over those bunkers i had to avoid., the extra loft also seems to help with a little less curvature

Thought this was hilarious.....:D

BY BRIAN MANZELLA:

HOW TO HIT UP ON A DRIVER!

#1. Cupped left wrist at the top. (because the club will be very open, you will be rewarded for hittting up on the back of the ball with a much better shot than if you hit the ball on the way down, which as we all know produces a BIG slice)

#2. Come over the top. (sure to work. if you come way over it and you hit down you will get a big mark on top of your driver)

#3. Reverse Pivot. (as you fall back hitting up is easy)

#4. Early Release, (a must. the clubhead MUST MUST MUST pass your hands prior to impact for the upward hit that requires the shaft leaning backwatd)

Oops! I forgot:

#5. Buy a driver with less than 9degrees of loft.

#6. Listen closely to everything Jim Flick says.

#7. HIGH RIGHT AND LOW LEFT SHOULDER AT IMPACT.

Status
Not open for further replies.