The Big Sandbag that IS the Pebble Beach AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil plays a great round to finish at-17. The winning team shoots twice as good... -35 and I don't think Phil's team even made the cut.

Why is there no outcry about the obvious sandbagging that's going on with the am partners? Yea... the hollywood types don't have any credibility to begin with, but wouldn't one start to question the credibility of every sports figure and business leader that is for the lack of a better term simply CHEATING? I just don't get it.... why do folks choose to cheat on national TV?

I could be wrong... maybe these chops just got crazy hot for 4 days. Probably not.

ZAP

New
So you think it is out of the question for someone to shoot under their cap for four straight days under tournament conditions at Pebble Beach? (note the sarcasm)

natep

New
I think they take the best score between the team per hole. A lot of these guys are getting a stroke a hole. So they could make 6 pars and still shoot in the 90's but those pars count for 6 birdies on top of what the pro shoots.

So you think it is out of the question for someone to shoot under their cap for four straight days under tournament conditions at Pebble Beach? (note the sarcasm)

Sarcasm noted. :) Perhaps the older I get the more cynical I become. Frankly, if I have a big financial corp leader shooting net 66 each round I might want to move my money out of their control if they exhibit a cheating mentality.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok.....

Let's say I play as a 3-handicap "amateur" partner for Jason Day at the ATT.

From the "up" tees.

I am making 8 birdies in four rounds, and at least a par a day on one of my shot holes.

Also, at least a par a day cutting Jason's bogey.

Jason shoot 10-under par.

If we PERFECTLY brother-in-law (btw, Statistically impossible)....

26-under.

Got me?

Ok.....

Let's say I play as a 3-handicap "amateur" partner for Jason Day at the ATT.

From the "up" tees.

I am making 8 birdies in four rounds, and at least a par a day on one of my shot holes.

Also, at least a par a day cutting Jason's bogey.

Jason shoot 10-under par.

If we PERFECTLY brother-in-law (btw, Statistically impossible)....

26-under.

Got me?

Gotcha...... you just got drilled by 10. No one can go "normal" and make up the other 10.

Too bad we just poo-poo this as a "fun" event and "oh yea... sure they cheat, but who cares".

When did cheating become so hip?

Just that it is mis-handicapped.

Wow..... there's a term I haven't EVER heard, but I like it and I bet there's a lot of sandbaggers that like it too. My guess is that at some point, eventually, it will be synonymous with cheating. :)

Let's just call a pig a pig. No am in this years event was complaining that his handicap was too high.

Agreed. But, based on the fact that the handicapping is a function of honest score submittals then something aint right. This is a pretty straight-forward issue..... an honest handicap is a function of honest score submittals. That DOES NOT result in the sort of results you see in this sort of a pro-am.

So..... cheating is a very pertinent if not accurate expression of what these guys do. It's time to call these cats out.

Robbo, this seems like an odd flag to plant.

Are you shocked that handicaps are off? The "am" portion of this event is a made-for-TV-shinanigan-encouraged hit and giggle. There is nothing serious about it. It's hi-def "customer golf" on a grand stage.

As long as Berman doesn't make the cut, the caps are close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.