The Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased The Golfing Machine, and am forcing myself to start from page 1. But, it ain't easy! SO much technical jargon. I hope it all fits together later in the book.
Does any one else find this difficult to read??

I have been thinking about taking the plunge and buying the book, but I am also very much a visual learner. I would imagine Ben Doyle's tape would be a great supplement to the book. BUT! I am deaf. The price of Ben's video is not cheap. I dont begrudge him charging what he does for it by no means. But, how much could a deaf person gleen from the video without being able to hear what is being said? This question is open to anyone with experience from the book and Ben's videos. I keep fighting throw away and it is driving me bonkers. Took some lessons a couple years ago in which the guy apparently got me 'bandaided'. Then started hitting pull duck hooks. That lead to a chicken wing. At this point, I am totally lost and willing to try anything.

cdog

New
I can only speak for me, but i would need to hear Ben talk, he explains a lot....where are you located? there are a few AI's all over.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by FanofHogan

I have been thinking about taking the plunge and buying the book, but I am also very much a visual learner. I would imagine Ben Doyle's tape would be a great supplement to the book. BUT! I am deaf. The price of Ben's video is not cheap. I dont begrudge him charging what he does for it by no means. But, how much could a deaf person gleen from the video without being able to hear what is being said? This question is open to anyone with experience from the book and Ben's videos. I keep fighting throw away and it is driving me bonkers. Took some lessons a couple years ago in which the guy apparently got me 'bandaided'. Then started hitting pull duck hooks. That lead to a chicken wing. At this point, I am totally lost and willing to try anything.
I will watch the video with the sound off and get back to you.

Thanks Hue. I ordered the book last Friday and am anxious to take a look at it. Hopefully this will be the end of the chicken wing!

Well, no one around here has heard of him either Brian. My parents are retiring to Elizabethtown Kentucky in about 3 or 4 years. If you havent gotten all famous and uppity by then, maybe I can pay you a visit for some lessons when I go up to visit them :)

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by hue

quote:Originally posted by FanofHogan

I will watch the video with the sound off and get back to you.
FanofHogan: I watched the tape with the sound off but as I have seen the tape many times before with sound I can not give you a 100 % idea of what it does for you without sound. It was a very interesting experiment. Having watched it I would say that Ben is very good at and likes to teach in a visual way in fact he says that when he was learning he learned by watching players. Ben hits lots of shots and is demonstrating by doing more than by talking in fact I would say that Ben is better at teaching by showing you what to do rather than talking about it . So as videos go that don't have sub titles go this one is as good as it gets. He demonstrates the flat left wrist ,impact fix and many other concepts in a visual way. In some ways watching him perform the shots without sound helps understand what he is trying to explain as you are forced to watch more closely and you can get a hell of a lot from this video without sound. Ben hits shot after shot after shot without big pauses and is talking while hitting shots. I suggest that you do buy it and watch it several times and take notes of parts that you would like some one who can hear to take notes for you so you can get a better understanding. One thing I did notice in watching the tape without sound is that I became more aware of the really poor players swings that are practicing in the back ground. I do not know if this was deliberate but having someone who can really hit the ball and others with various swing deseases in the background all swinging away highlights the differences between what you should and should not do. So I suggest you do get it and after watching it several times watch it with a friend to glean what Ben does say and take notes. I hope this is of help.

Thanks a lot Hue! I really appreciate it a great deal. Sounds like the video is a must. Brian, thanks a lot. You will get there dont worry. I have to admit when I first saw you post on FGI I thought to myself, "What an arrogant SOB." But I have come to realize that you are an ambitious person who has goals and that is to be the best and teach the pros. Well, I gotta figure that if a person is going to teach the pros he has to be confident and a little cocky. Afterall, the pros dont want someone who is unsure of himself tinkering with their swings. You have definitely opened my eyes to TGM. Also Ragman deserves some props as well. Ragman, I am a visual person as I said before, you definitely describe it in terms that I can associate with.

Well, the book arrived yesterday in the mail. Read part of list one last night and while it is intimidating, I think I can get through it. Plus, what a genius Mr. Kelly must have been.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Fan....thank you for the very kind words an figuring me out...

If you just read me...you'll get it.

Good luck with the book and tape!

No problem Brian. I am a very quiet individual always was, even before losing my hearing. People always took me the wrong way. They felt like I was unsociable. I am just an introvert. You my friend, are 100% extrovert! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.