The Golf Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdZ

New
Caveat..."Having just returned from some dental work".....[8D]

I find myself pondering what a successful archtypical golf teaching career might look like.

How do folks who have taken them feel about playing lessons from a great pro? What would that be worth to you? What would you want it to look like? (how many lessons/timing/cost)

If a club offered this service (playing lessons from the pro on a regular schedule) as part of membership, what is that worth to you if you are a member of that club? What is that worth to the pro, within reason?

A job I'd love to have ;)

To me it would depend on how good the teaching pro was. At my club I do not have allot of confidence in his ability to teach (although he is a great player) Allot of the PGA guys teach what works for them and not necessarily what the student needs.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by rbaumgolf

To me it would depend on how good the teaching pro was. At my club I do not have allot of confidence in his ability to teach (although he is a great player) Allot of the PGA guys teach what works for them and not necessarily what the student needs.

That may be true at a mechanics level for some, but the idea of the playing lesson is much more about how to think your way around the course, and less about swing mechanics. I would think that a playing lesson would begin with a range lesson, then move to the course. I suspect something that better players might gain more from than newer golfers, who likely need more range work first (but by certainly can gain a lot of knowledge from a playing lesson).

Learning to 'read' a design, a lie, the wind - any given shot - can't be done as well on the range.

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

quote:Originally posted by rbaumgolf

That may be true at a mechanics level for some, but the idea of the playing lesson is much more about how to think your way around the course, and less about swing mechanics. I would think that a playing lesson would begin with a range lesson, then move to the course. I suspect something that better players might gain more from than newer golfers, who likely need more range work first (but by certainly can gain a lot of knowledge from a playing lesson).

Learning to 'read' a design, a lie, the wind - any given shot - can't be done as well on the range.

I see more and more Pro's doing this, but they charge an arm and a leg for it.

I hesitate when it comes to your club pro. I live in florida and the golf academy of the south was here and they use to play on my home course. This is where wanna be golf pro's got their eduaction in ergonomics and other things then did whatever they had to do to get their PGA card. it was a turnstyle school and most couldn't break 85.
I don't know how many went on to get a PGA license, but to think any of them could become a teacher was scary.

Also, the average golfer loses so many strokes around the green with just such a poor short game I dunno how much course management will really help. Most can't hit it where they are aimed anyways.

I think this might help more off the 10 HCP that is struggling to break 80.

Just some thoughts.

Jack

New
Dear Z,

I've worked with several teachers and two stand out.

Dave Pelz (1990 when he was still teaching). He didn't play any with us, but did go over several simulated round experiences. Went over options and goals for the shot in question, and offered advice and when and why to play each shot. His three day school was worth it.

Still the best was the B-Man - teaching everthing from how to warm up, how to aim, to how to practice along with mechanics, drills etc...
Haven't played with him yet but I can't wait to do so. I think it would be invaluable to play a practice several holes and drop a few balls here and there and get his perspective on who, what, where, when, WHY and HOW. His two day school experience was awesome.

I agree with - wanole - a playing lesson would probably be best for a better player (who wants to shave off those last few shots - usually lost to poor decisions) but the lesson better be coming from a good teacher and not a good player. A beginner playing lesson would look more like the caddie lessons they to give, when people still had acess to caddies - eg. golf rules, etiquette etc..

We all have experienced good and bad teachers in all aspects of learning - and I see no advantage to spending time with a NASA rocket scientist trying to see how he does his work - if he couldn't teach you basic algebra.

This forum is further evidence that it harder to find a Great Teacher than a Great Player.

Status
Not open for further replies.