The hallmark of a great instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, a great instructor reveals themselves when they start moving away from teaching A swing and toward helping a golfer understand THEIR swing.

Not being an instructor myself I'm curious as to when this transition occurs? Is it based on the golfer's expectations for their game, their goals? Is it obvious that some golfers just don't have "it" and they need to work with what they have?

Thanks.

Last edited:
IMHO, a great instructor reveals themselves when they start moving away from teaching A swing and toward helping a golfer understand THEIR swing.

Not being an instructor myself I'm curious as to when this transition occurs? Is it based on the golfer's expectations for their game, their goals? Is it obvious that some golfers just don't have "it" and they need to work with what they have?

Thanks.

When you say that some golfers may not have "it", what does "it" mean? I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on what makes a good golf instructor....if you can tolerate some snarkiness.

No worries, Virtuoso... I can snark with the best of 'em. Thanks for replying.

"It" ... I don't know what that means for everyone else, but I'd like to know what others think "it" means to them. I think "it" most resembles "athleticism" to me. Dynamic balance, fluid motion... something along those lines.

Look down the line at your local driving range and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you can easily pick out the guys/gals that have "it" and those that do not... sans definition of "it."

dbl

New
If there are questions revolving here
A) Instructors
B) Players

And in B)Players regarding "it" etc, I that think that bad though many golfers are ...they can handle multiple patterns..not just that they have a "their swing"...

No worries, Virtuoso... I can snark with the best of 'em. Thanks for replying.

"It" ... I don't know what that means for everyone else, but I'd like to know what others think "it" means to them. I think "it" most resembles "athleticism" to me. Dynamic balance, fluid motion... something along those lines.

Look down the line at your local driving range and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you can easily pick out the guys/gals that have "it" and those that do not... sans definition of "it."

Well, I guess I could write 10 pages on this easily, but I'll try to just hit on the very basics.

A good instructor is not hugely concerned with, say, an individual golfer's hand-eye coordination on the front end of a lesson series. That concern might come along later as individual goals get higher and higher. The bottom line is that most amateurs, because of their clubhead delivery, have given themselves such a small window of opportunity to hit a well struck shot.

The clubhead is approaching the ball in such and awkward and oblique way that it automatically appears that they have no speed and coordination.

Is it true that they have an absolute potential limit to what they might acheive in swing performance? Of course, but they are always so far short of their potential, it ceases to be a major concern anytime soon.

Myth and Truth about golf instruction:

Myth: Only the most highly experienced instructors should teach tour pro's.

The exact opposite is true. Any knowledgeable internet swing theorist good give a reasonable lesson to a tour pro--as long as the tour player didn't know you were just a desk jockey. You couldn't screw him up that bad, and you might help him a little....and you could sound like you knew what you were talking about.

The hardest lesson to give effectively is the one that is given to Mrs. Schwartzstein, who was dragged to the lesson by her husband. She's been barked at by her husband on the course, based on everything he's read in the golf mags, she is scared to death, she's embarassed everytime she tops the ball, and she thinks she looks fat in the swing video, but, deep down, she does want to play better.

With a good instructor, after one hour, she is getting the ball in the air, she is high-fiving the instructor, and super excited to get back out to the course again.....and has learned how to politely ignore her husband completely.

With a knowledgeable swing theorist, after 30 minutes, she is a quivering mess, the top has turnd into a complete wiff, and she never wants to play golf again.

To be continued.....

Truth: If the instructor has a full lesson book, he is a good instructor.

Well, not an ABSOLUTE truth, based on variables like talent to self promote, BUT, generally this is true. People are usually pretty rational creatures so it's rare for a person to keep going back to the same instructor if they don't feel like they are improving.

Aside: I recently visited another golf forum where a self-admited swing theorist tore into an instructor that had posted an instruction video on youtube. The instructor did not post the video to that forum; it was posted by someone else....and then mocked by the resident peanut gallery. The instructor responded that he had a full lesson book. If that's true, he is very likely an excellent teacher. I may have agreed with the theorist on the actual material discussed....but I'd rather take a lesson from the guy with the full lesson book.

to be contined...

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

Thanks.

I don't teach full time, i have a non-golf career. If i'm "busy" teaching maybe it's 6-8 lessons a month. I don't have the time, literally, for golfers to not start learning/understanding from the word go. I diagnose, fix, and give them the knowledge to try and do it on their own next time. Best i can do.

Truth: Good instructors are very familiar with the law of unintended consequences.

I work with Mrs Schwartzstein, and we have done a good job of teaching her how to deliver the club between the ground and the equator of the ball, ie, she is now hitting the ball in the air consistently (and reasonably centered on the face). We then move on to teaching her how to square the clubface.

If I hand the lesson off to an IST, or any poor instructor, within 3 minutes, they will definitely have her squaring the face up better, but she will also now be hitting reverse hosel tops. Not a good way to wrap up the lesson.

Good instructors know how to keep the good stuff intact as they move to new stuff.

Truth: Good instructors put their hands physically on their students.

Even if the student is a visual learner, they get more from the teacher actually grabbing them and moving their body, as oppossed to just "seeing" it on video. The video can serve as a good tool to show the difference between perception and actual club/body movements, but nothing replaces the teacher actually physically moving the golfer. You need to move the club for them, move their shoulders, move their hips, etc.

Myth: The more information the instructor gives, the better value the student feels he is getting for his money.

Young instructors may not say they believe this....but many teach like they do believe it.

Mr. Snogpot, who happens to be an mechanical engineer, would love to hear all the sexy, technical stuff, and lots of it, but Mrs. Schwartzstein could definitely do without it. But regardless of which, the metric they care about most is how much they have actually improved by the end of the lesson.....and to what extent they've been given the correct information to practice, and improve in the future.

Young instructors, having looked at hundreds of hours of Tour swings on video, tend to want to tell every student everything they've learned in the first lesson...regardless of how appropriate the info for that particular student's swing. They use it as self-medication, especially when the lesson starts going pear-shaped and the student is really struggling. They try to fill up the awkwardness and silent space with technical terms in an effort to essentially say "I know you're banging austrailian hooks off the fence poles, but please don't let that reflect on me because you can hear how smart I am."

(PS, with all these rants, I'm not trying to beat up on swing theorists or young instructors--all these examples could easily be my own memoirs)

Last edited:
Truth: When golfers take a lesson, they want to hit balls; they do not want to sit in front of a video screen for 45 minutes and listen to an indepth explanation of just how bad they look in relation to Ernie Els.

Bad teachers love to burn time in front of a video screen--the more they theorize, the less they actually have to teach. Teaching is hard work, and only golf instructors that actually love teaching can excel at it. Why don't bad teachers want to go back to the range? Because they and their students will have to face the consequences for theories that don't work well in practice for that individual. A good instructor can't wait to get back to the range to try it. One hour is a long time to watch someone struggle. One hour flys by when you are actually helping someone hit the ball better.

Myth: Sometimes the student just can't physically do what the teacher wants them to do.

Well, this is actually true if it's a bad teacher who has decided that Mr Snognot absolutely has to have at least 45 degrees of separation between his shoulder turn and hip turn....or, even better, has to have an inside path and hips open 35 degrees at impact.

But, in regards to real tangible improvement in ball flight, everyone on the planet can be taught to deliver the club to the ball more efficiently.

So, the above myth is only true if a golfer is being taught poorly.

Last edited:
Good teacher: Gets the BIG PICTURE; a true artist
Bad teacher: Lost in details, paints by numbers.

You have to LIVE IT, day in, day out. The answer is in the dirt. Your "research lab" has to be thousands of lessons with repreating themes, from which you see patterns emerge, and you use that knowledge to help the next swing in front of you

DC,

At what point do you start solidifying the student's swing, help them really learn their motion, and move away from trying to "improve" their action?

In other words, when do you accept their "compensations" as being their own and move on?

Thanks.

dbl

New
Cloran, I still don't understand your view of using words like "their motion" as if they HAVE NO OTHER choice in the matter.

If an over-active hips, reverse leaning, handle dragger with major clubface issues came to YOU as instructor, what are YOU saying about this person and "THEIR MOTION"? Why would an instructor, as you say "help them really learn their motion?"

Cloran, I still don't understand your view of using words like "their motion" as if they HAVE NO OTHER choice in the matter.

If an over-active hips, reverse leaning, handle dragger with major clubface issues came to YOU as instructor, what are YOU saying about this person and "THEIR MOTION"? Why would an instructor, as you say "help them really learn their motion?"

I'm NOT an instructor, so I'd tell them to go see Mike Jacobs down the road.

The "no other choice in the matter" is pretty close to what I mean. Does someone need to play golf at a scratch level for their "compensations" to become "quirks of their swing"? What about the 11.9 handicap that only has time to play twice/month and has the goal of being a 5 handicap (this is me)? Do you keep trying to get into positions/paths/planes, or do you start to smooth out the edges and teach the player what makes their swing tick?

How many of the games best ball strikers, past and present, have had swings that don't fit into the perfect mold? At what point does an instructor leave their OVERALL swing alone and start making sure the player REALLY understands how/why their swing works?

(to quote BM)

get it?

GET IT?

[edit: :) ]

Last edited:
Well if theyre a reverse leaning handle dragger somebody better change one of those motions cause that equates to a total whiff, skull, or shank!

hp12c

New
After reading all these great post and pondering tem all. Especially the one from Virtuoso, I was reminded of this quote from Calvin Coolidge which was told to me when I was lets say at the end of my rope. “Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

Status
Not open for further replies.