The importance of "feeling" shaft bend/torque/kick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Brian has talked about stressing the shaft in the past...and we all talk about club face awareness. But how important is it to feel the shaft?? Right now I just don't feel my shaft bending on transition or kicking at impact. I am very much a feel type player and i feel my shafts are not working (FST Pro Red REG. ). Every time I try a set of irons off the rack (on Flightscope at my local Nevada Bob's)they feel so much better than mine. My swing speed has been measured at 91-93 mph with a 6 iron so why the heck can I not feel these shafts at all? They are reg flex for cryin out loud. Could these shafts be that muted? thx all

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Different shafts have different bend profiles and you may just not like this one, also with your swing speed it might be flexing so much you may not notice it because it isn't stiff enough for you.

Try a stiff flex in the following:

Dynamic Gold
Rifle (non flighted)
FST Tour
Project X

You will find you like some better than others simply because of their bend profiles, once you find one you like then get fit for it.

And FWIW, Furyk doesn't want to feel any shaft bend especially in his irons. Apparently it's just another factor to consider when you are trying to hit your mark.

I've decided not to go softer on a couple of S shafted sets that I have; I just reach for a longer club if I need more distance.

Not sure if I like it or not as I've got to get over "wanting a little kick" from the shaft!!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
thx Jim. I am getting my 6i re-shafted with Accra tour steel to try.

I'm pretty sure these are out of production and were very expensive; i had a set that i won in a raffle. They were a great shaft that was designed by Kim Braley who designed the original project x and the new KB Tour. The KB Tour i find really similar to the now defunct accras.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
And FWIW, Furyk doesn't want to feel any shaft bend especially in his irons. Apparently it's just another factor to consider when you are trying to hit your mark.

I've decided not to go softer on a couple of S shafted sets that I have; I just reach for a longer club if I need more distance.

Not sure if I like it or not as I've got to get over "wanting a little kick" from the shaft!!

Every shaft kicks no matter what you "Feel" it does. You can go really stiff to reduce the feel or go very soft to get a lot of feel.

I'm pretty sure these are out of production and were very expensive; i had a set that i won in a raffle. They were a great shaft that was designed by Kim Braley who designed the original project x and the new KB Tour. The KB Tour i find really similar to the now defunct accras.

Yeah they are no longer in production. My club making buddy has some on hand and he's gonna cut me a sweet deal. He raves about those shafts. Can't wait to try em.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
They were the bees knees when available, i'll give him that. They were EXTREMELY customizable from a clubmaking perspective, make sure he builds them exactly how you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.