The inner game of winning nobel prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't strictly core business - but it comes out of a conversation on here, and is golfing related, so thought I'd share.

Based on a recommendation from Drewyallop, I'm reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. Amongst other things, DK has been awarded the Nobel Prize for economics and, according to Steven Pinker (himself quite clever) may be the world most important living psychologist. That's good enough authority for me.

Anyway, I'm maybe two or three chapters in and one overwhelming impression is of how much this book, which went to print as of last year and purports to be a state of the art overview of how we think and learn, mirrors and confirms (maybe even borrows from?) concepts and ideas that Tim Galwey came up with in his Inner Game books 30 or 40 years ago.

Very little impresses me so much as the occasional visionary who intuitively comes up with radical ideas that science, armed with internets, and supercomputers, and brain-scanning-machines, eventually catches up with. Lots of BS merchants would like to pitch their quasi-mystical mumbo-jumbo into this field - and very few seem to earn the ultimate verification.

I think we're lucky to play a sport that's had a book like the Inner Game of Golf written about it. Do yourself a favour. Read Thinking, Fast and Slow (and if you haven't already, read TIGG) - and be impressed at both Daniel Kahneman and Tim Gallwey.

Status
Not open for further replies.