the July '09 Trackman newsletter is a must read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learn the importance of sweetspot hits - that missing the center of the driver left or right by ONE DIMPLE will cost you 10 yards in accuracy (vs. 2 1/2 yards accuracy with a 6-iron) and that missing by a half inch with the driver, 35 yards.

Learn why heel hits fade and toe hits draw.

Learn why variation between path and face matter more with the driver by far than a 9-iron.

Learn why you might need to aim more left with a 3-iron than a 9-iron and might think about playing shorter irons further back in your stance.

The article "The Secret of the Straight Shot II" really is a must read.

Plane Line-Stance Line

Quotes are from the Trackman July 09 Newsletter:

“In short, aim left when hitting down on the ball and aim right when hitting
up upon the ball. And remember when I say ‘aim left’ I mean the
swing plane, the face angle should always be aligned towards the target line”

If the swing plane line is rotated with respect to the target line, what procedure aligns the clubface with the target line? Is the grip "secured" after these alignments or do the arms/hands open or close the clubface relative to the swing plane line as the stance is assembled?

“If you move the ball back towards your right foot for
the same horizontal swing plane, the effect will be a steeper attack
angle (more negative) and a more inside-out club path (more
positive). So, in order to maintain a zero club path while moving
the ball further back in your stance, you simply have to rotate your
horizontal swing plane towards the left (more open stance).”

Does opening the stance line dictate a rotation of the swing plane line?

Quotes are from the Trackman July 09 Newsletter:

“In short, aim left when hitting down on the ball and aim right when hitting
up upon the ball. And remember when I say ‘aim left’ I mean the
swing plane, the face angle should always be aligned towards the target line”

If the swing plane line is rotated with respect to the target line, what procedure aligns the clubface with the target line? Is the grip "secured" after these alignments or do the arms/hands open or close the clubface relative to the swing plane line as the stance is assembled?

“If you move the ball back towards your right foot for
the same horizontal swing plane, the effect will be a steeper attack
angle (more negative) and a more inside-out club path (more
positive). So, in order to maintain a zero club path while moving
the ball further back in your stance, you simply have to rotate your
horizontal swing plane towards the left (more open stance).”

Does opening the stance line dictate a rotation of the swing plane line?

DWOC,

Yes, always, as long as your shoulders follow your stance (i.e. no closed or open shoulders re. your feet position)....

Think of your feet being the target line, and your shoulders parallel to your feet...
At the low point of your swing the target line would be a tangent off the bottom of the clubhead swing arc (your swing plane)...

Therefore, with exactly the same setup position, if the ball goes back in your stance the clubhead will meet it before low point (as stated, while travelling in-to-out, or travelling right of target line), therefore, you need to adjust your basic address angle so that the "in-to-out" equates to directly at the target....

Club should be regripped once correct face angle is achieved at address..

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
No way!!!

Club should be regripped once correct face angle is achieved at address..

I totally disagree!!

This is a goofy theory, and one that is very dangerous to use.

Your grip is your grip.

Don't change it.

To make DEAD STRAIGHT SHOTS happen, you need to get a "feel" for about where the clubface would be, but that's it.

No funny stuff.

greenfree

Banned
Just to get this clear Brian....

You simply open the clubface by rotating your forearms?....

Are you talking about turning the club and then retaking your grip .using your normal grip? In other words you open or close the face ,then grip it using your normal grip.

Are you talking about turning the club and then retaking your grip .using your normal grip? In other words you open or close the face ,then grip it using your normal grip.

Yes, that is what I was saying, I've always done it....but let's see what Brian can confirm...

Yes, that is what I was saying, I've always done it....but let's see what Brian can confirm...

I agree with Brian. Unless you REALLY need to move the ball one way or the other (i.e. big hook around a tree), you should grip the club nearly the same all the time. If you aim your body left or right with different clubs, you should still keep the same grip and just do whatever you need to align the club straight. If you keep the same grip all the time, your sense of the clubface is much better than if you strenthen/weaken your grip differently for every shot.

I know of ZERO good players who do as you described. I'm not trying to knock you, but no one that I know who can break par in a tournament does anything close to "regripping the club after aligning their body".

greenfree

Banned

I've done the same to hit a fade or a draw. It works for me. I'm not regripping, i'm adjusting where the face points for the shot i'm trying to produce,then i take my normal grip.

Last edited:
I know of ZERO good players who do as you described. I'm not trying to knock you, but no one that I know who can break par in a tournament does anything close to "regripping the club after aligning their body".

I can, and I do.

EDIT: In fact, regripping the club after aligning everything PLUS the proper D-plane information has really let me work the ball both ways much easier than I used to. I can now control how much fade or draw the shot will have much more easily than before.

Last edited:
In Golf My Way (Draws and Faces), it would seem that Jack closes and opens clubface as he takes his grip and prior to the address-similar to the sand shot. Would this indicate he placed more emphasis on the clubface than the plane line?

Last edited:
The newsletter states that because of a more vertical shaft plane at impact the short irons don't need to be swung as far left as the mid-irons despite being hit down and out more. Can anyone explain why, please?

James

The newsletter states that because of a more vertical shaft plane at impact the short irons don't need to be swung as far left as the mid-irons despite being hit down and out more. Can anyone explain why, please?

James

If the shaft was vertical (90º to the ground) for every degree the head descended it would remain in a straight line. Tip that shaft to 45º and for every degree it traveled down it would travel 1º out. Therefore a short iron that has a more vertical shaft plane despite having a steeper angle of attack will not travel out as much as a mid or long iron.

James

I think the confusion arises because short irons are normally played further back in the stance and struck with more forward lean and/or more descending blow, which all would require you to swing MORE to the left. However, all things being equal on ball position, angle of descent, etc, the more vertical shaft would require less aiming to the left as explainded in the preceding post. As a practical matter, however, this effect is more than offset by the ball position and angle of descent.

If the shaft was vertical (90º to the ground) for every degree the head descended it would remain in a straight line. Tip that shaft to 45º and for every degree it traveled down it would travel 1º out. Therefore a short iron that has a more vertical shaft plane despite having a steeper angle of attack will not travel out as much as a mid or long iron.

Thank you very much for the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.