the key to hitting pitches off very tight, wet lies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shot that drives me crazy in spring is hitting short pitch shots, say within 60 yards of the green off super tight, wet lies.

I have gotten to play twice in the past two weeks with some much warmer than expected weather and I'll bet I hit two of these shots fat and thinned three more. Is this just a shot you have to be practicing a lot to hit well? Keys to lowpoint control here? Techniques to keep these shots from blowing up your scores?

Hi Niblick1, all I can share is that when I had my Brian lesson last year, one of the things on my problem list was precisely what you describe.

Horrible in the wet, bad even when it dried out later that spring.

Took in like 2 minutes to fix. His diagnosis? Pop Out. Taking the hands straight back and up. Up equals steep down. I changed it then, and there and it was fixed. Didn't stay fixed until I worked on it for several months.
Feels like I am swinging way inside, but actually not so.

We have held three tournaments since March 22nd. First two were mudfests, last one a little drier. Zero fat chips/pitches so far, and believe me I have had a few attempts.

I asked this (almost) same question last year and I remember Kevin saying to increase the shaft lean and pick it.

Hi Niblick1, all I can share is that when I had my Brian lesson last year, one of the things on my problem list was precisely what you describe.

Horrible in the wet, bad even when it dried out later that spring.

Took in like 2 minutes to fix. His diagnosis? Pop Out. Taking the hands straight back and up. Up equals steep down. I changed it then, and there and it was fixed. Didn't stay fixed until I worked on it for several months.
Feels like I am swinging way inside, but actually not so.

We have held three tournaments since March 22nd. First two were mudfests, last one a little drier. Zero fat chips/pitches so far, and believe me I have had a few attempts.

Softconsult,
Are you saying that you had to much "pop out" and that Brian's solution was to take the club/path more inside or shallow? would this be like a Small soft draw takeaway perhaps? Whenever I swing the club inside on pitches I tend to come back OTT and steep(Baaaaadddd)...I think I may swing the club head inside and NOT the hands-maybe this is the issue
thnks,
Flyers66

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
1) you need a wedge that isn't designed to "dig" much but also not have a ton of bounce.

2) lead with your hands a bit (not a ton) and use the bounce.

I agree with the pop out diagnosis. When I'm struggling with flops, which isn't too often, it's almost always a pop out type of problem.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Weight left-ish. Closed feet. Waaaay inward hands with right arm on top of left the entire swing. Finish with butt of club by your left hip.

Butt of club working left thru impact is vital on this shot. Feeling it stop on left hip as Kevin suggests is a great suggestion. The faster the butt of the club works left, the better.

Allows for weight left and an easier time getting and inside hand path. Also slows unwanted clearing of the body, helps snap the chain.

How much snapping of the chain do you need for 60 yards and in? It would seem, to me, that things like low point control would be more of a priority, no?

I also find that a more open stance and clearing of the hips helps the butt of the club finish more left, by my left hip. Can you help clarify?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
How much snapping of the chain do you need for 60 yards and in?

Alot more than you might think to get maximum returns.

It would seem, to me, that things like low point control would be more of a priority, no?

No argument here

I also find that a more open stance and clearing of the hips helps the butt of the club finish more left, by my left hip. Can you help clarify?

If you drag the handle on this type of shot, which I find unnecessary. I prefer to use FATS and snap the chain all the way to 20 yds or so.

Allows for weight left and an easier time getting and inside hand path. Also slows unwanted clearing of the body, helps snap the chain.

Thanks again Kevin, works great. Just had to use this shot earlier today from about 40 yards out with a LW. Not a good lie, basically just a bare spot of dirt but it was a little soft. Normally I have a tendency to slide right under it but today I hit a great shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.