The King

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all;
Arnold Palmer is the "King" for a reason. If you watched the GC tonight you saw a mere image of him describing the knowlege he could espouse. I can tell you personal stories about him that have greatly affected my life and my ability to be a golf professional. Jack Nicklaus gave "Mr." Palmer credit for the best tip he ever received in 1962 before he beat "Mr." Palmer in the US Open at Oakmont regarding putting off of the green. Do tour players still give advice to their adversaries? I know this much, every person when I was playing competitively, wanted to beat their opponent when their opponent was playing their best. We continually shared ideas and experiences. Harry Tosacano("the best striker of the ball that I saw"-JMiller-1966 US Open")admired AP and to this day "Arnold Palmer is the best. Period!!!!!!"! Dead serious.
MK

Big fan of Palmer and he has surely advanced the game. But I'm watching the replay now and it's more of the same old crap.

My advice to golfers, and I'm in no position to give advice, is:

-Stop the crap. Cancel your magazine subscriptions and watch the golf channel's coverage of tournaments only. There are no quality "tips." It's OK if you want to watch cute girls swing clubs by the ocean, though.

-High 'cappers, fix the slice. The most common miss is caused by the most common fault. Understand why the face opens and why it's hard to square. There are some good videos out there.

-Mid 'cappers, you know how to do a lot of things right. Get a mental check and stop throwing away shots. Keep working at it. More bunker play.

-Low 'cappers, work on short game and putting. If you can't get up and down most of the time you'll soon be a mid 'capper guy.

Is that so hard for a professional golfer to say? And I didn't even get into specifics or the D-plane.

To all;
Arnold Palmer is the "King" for a reason. If you watched the GC tonight you saw a mere image of him describing the knowlege he could espouse. I can tell you personal stories about him that have greatly affected my life and my ability to be a golf professional. Jack Nicklaus gave "Mr." Palmer credit for the best tip he ever received in 1962 before he beat "Mr." Palmer in the US Open at Oakmont regarding putting off of the green. Do tour players still give advice to their adversaries? I know this much, every person when I was playing competitively, wanted to beat their opponent when their opponent was playing their best. We continually shared ideas and experiences. Harry Tosacano("the best striker of the ball that I saw"-JMiller-1966 US Open")admired AP and to this day "Arnold Palmer is the best. Period!!!!!!"! Dead serious.
MK

What did he teach?

You have met him? Stories?

What was the tip to Nicklaus? (simply to putt whenever you can?...I think I remember seeing this)

One might believe that if you do good even for your opponent, good things will return to you. It's bigger than golf. I don't think I like gamesmanship, or any of that stuff.

I can't picture Tiger and Phil exchanging swing tips under the xmas tree.

I have heard Jack state that AP became a much straighter driver of the ball later in his playing days. Wonder what he was working on to achieve that.

I can't picture Tiger and Phil exchanging swing tips under the xmas tree.

I have heard Jack state that AP became a much straighter driver of the ball later in his playing days. Wonder what he was working on to achieve that.

I don't think Tiger's ego would let him......but Phil would help anyone who asks. He has worked with other tour pro's around the greens, at least he was in Phx a few years back. I know Phil and Tiger wer trying to help O'Hair with his hapless putting.

I've got a lot of respect for Arnold. I think if it were not for guys like him I wouldn't be playing the game. I think he's also a guy that could've taken his riches and spent it on frivolous things and kept it to himself. Instead he did things like build a great hospital.

3JACK

He had a very bowed left wrist at the top of his backswing and a shut clubface and over time learned to get it less bowed and the clubface more open.

Status
Not open for further replies.