The motion of the left shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the left shoulder go "Mostly Down", "Down and around" or "Mostly around"?

Does the golfer have options in this regard?

My 2 cents:

- If I go for "mostly down", I get low flying bullets and a quite good feeling strike but don't feel that in control of the ball. Only tried on the range. Works from P-Wedge to Driver.

- If I go "around", I feel I have to be loose and time the swing well and be fluid but, all going well, I get a good shot.

art

New
Should the left shoulder go "Mostly Down", "Down and around" or "Mostly around"?

Does the golfer have options in this regard?

My 2 cents:

- If I go for "mostly down", I get low flying bullets and a quite good feeling strike but don't feel that in control of the ball. Only tried on the range. Works from P-Wedge to Driver.

- If I go "around", I feel I have to be loose and time the swing well and be fluid but, all going well, I get a good shot.

Dear Brendan,

From the standpoint of minimizing dynamic balance disturbances AND therefore having the opportunity to get the most rotational energy from the shoulders, thru the arms/wrists to the club, favors keeping both shoulders on a plane parallel to the clubs 'functional swing plane'.

While describing this to a bunch of PGA folks at a 'Cracker Barrel' meeting last year, the rim of a large straw hat provided a great visual for the shoulders to try to follow. Hope that helps,

art

Initial question was in relation to backswing.

It's not something I would think about through the ball....but I am interested to know?

art

New
Sorry Brendan,

I missed the point about the back swing, and based on your choices would say 'down and around', again, trying to have some association with being in a plane similar to the basic functional swing plane.

The reason 'why ?', from a science-based viewpoint has to do with where the lead shoulders glenoid/humerus needs to be at impact, and the best trajectory for it to get there involving both the back swing and downswing. Simply stated, the closer this trajectory is to the plane of the TOTAL swing rather than say horizontal, the more energy will be transferred.

Finally, from test experience, simply elevating the REAR shoulder during the back swing to a condition where the rear scapula moves towards the spine produces a more dynamically stable condition by minimizing/eliminating unwanted upper body lateral moves while trying to get the lead shoulder under the chin, or behind the ball.

Hope this is clear, and helps.

art

Status
Not open for further replies.