The Nicklaus Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think I ever really gave it it's due. Too early to tell but this may end up being an upgrade. (we will see)

To get there you have to...

Just thought it at least deserved a thread.

Anyone have any kind of standout success with this move? (/position)

Do you mean: high hands low clubhead with the shaft more vertical?

I had a severely in to out path (3-6 degrees) when I was on Trackman this summer. Ever since I have been working on getting a bit more back extension and ending up with my weight firmly over my left heel.

When I focus on these two positions I seem to get a more Jack-like finish. If I add wedding ring-up to the mix, I get to the left heel even easier and a more vertical shaft at the finish.

Great description. That's the one. Ala SD.

And I guess ya gotta toss it a little (at some point) to get there.

Not to say more horizontal at the finish can't work. Trevino and Hogan (Hogan?) I believe are closer to horizontal and we all know what they could do.

Again though this position does not seem to get much attention, nevermind positive.

People seem to lump it in with "old-school" and reverse c and bad haircuts, clothing, and all that easily associated stuff.

Jack, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller?, Irwin?, whoever else.

Mechanics-wise, it is almost like a forgotten generation. Or so it sometimes seems. I ain't sure about the reverse c either but..

I don't even know how well I can make it work yet but I thought it at least deserves a look, so a thread I doth starteth.

Ye Olde Time Nicklaus Finish. Hark, fiend!

As ye go up, ye come down as ye doth choosETH.

Last edited:
All of my golfing life I have used a finish where my left arm sticks out and the club is roughly parallel to my shoulders. I just recently watched the SD pattern and after using it I wondered why more golfers don't use the high hands low club finish. I have tried the feeling out with my short game and I instantly noticed more solid contact. I am going out to the course tomorrow and I can report back on how well it works. Right now though, I just feel like it makes sense for me to use the SD/Nicklaus finish. When I do the back and forth drill now I find it much easier to do by adopting this different finish.

eoscar

I think the Nicklaus finish gets lumped in with the reverse c and in turn gets a bad rap for having the potential to cause back problems. I have been working on that position since my lesson with Brian in August and have not had any back issues.

ej20

New
I think if you have severe reverse c you will eventually have back problems.It is not necessarily a problem you may get in the short term especially if you are still young and flexible.

Golf is bad on your back in general.Keeping your head back whilst thrusting your belt buckle towards the target as far as possible will only make matters worse. It's just common sense,you don't need a biomechanist to say yay or nay.

Does this tend to be more for rotated (steeper) shoulder turn swings?

It felt good before, which apparently is mostly all it takes for me to get excited, but I now wonder if it will be usable to me (even for a draw), or if it will have me swinging too far to the right.

Jack did so well with it...

I was on the range today and I experimented with this high hands finish and was hitting it really well especially with the wedges which have been crap for me for a long time. Any idea who this helps? Below planers maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.