The Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a consensus in current golf instruction as to whether the release should involve a conscious trigger, or that it should happen as a result of unloading forces as a golfer moves through positions in the swing? How do you do it?

mhhh... no golf instructor....but.... imho release should be the result of forces becoming greater then the muscle strength at a certain moment in the swing :D

I am not sure. If I had a comprehensive definition I would know whether it is consciously initiated or not. Sorry. Everyone uses the term relative to the golf swing....but.....

FYI : You might want to read these Swing Physics - technique

Quote from that article

"Many people have trouble believing that you do not need to use wrist torque to have an effective golf swing. But to prove a point, some stunt golfers use drivers with a section of rubber tube or dog chain replacing part of the shaft. They still hit the golf ball a long way -- in fact, much the same distance as with a proper shaft. With such a flexible shaft, there is no way that wrist torque can have any effect."

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Real Answers.

Is there a consensus in current golf instruction as to whether the release should involve a conscious trigger, or that it should happen as a result of unloading forces as a golfer moves through positions in the swing? How do you do it?

There is NO CONSENSUS.

The release needs to recruit, and utilize, every muscle in the body—at the right time.

An "automatic release" still has all sorts of hand torques in it, and WILL ALWAYS BE less that full power.

mhhh... no golf instructor....but.... imho release should be the result of forces becoming greater then the muscle strength at a certain moment in the swing :D

You will get a power puff poof unless you help the hell out of it.

JonWil What is your definition for release?

When the swing goes from left arm across the chest to right arm across the chest, or to both arms straight.

"Many people have trouble believing that you do not need to use wrist torque to have an effective golf swing. But to prove a point, some stunt golfers use drivers with a section of rubber tube or dog chain replacing part of the shaft. They still hit the golf ball a long way -- in fact, much the same distance as with a proper shaft. With such a flexible shaft, there is no way that wrist torque can have any effect."

Dead wrong.

85% max.

There is NO CONSENSUS.

The release needs to recruit, and utilize, every muscle in the body—at the right time.

An "automatic release" still has all sorts of hand torques in it, and WILL ALWAYS BE less that full power.

You will get a power puff poof unless you help the hell out of it.

When the swing goes from left arm across the chest to right arm across the chest, or to both arms straight.

Dead wrong.

85% max.

Frans France,

Thank you for chiming in and offering your help. I appreciate it.

Brian,

Thank you for the explanation. Crystal clear!!:)

Dead wrong.

85% max.

mhhh.... as you did cut the part where I posted the link to the article and the part where I say it is a qoute I have to guess which part is wrong. But I think you refer to the distance being the same ?

The article also explains that wrist torque can help to gain length but that most people have trouble with the timing and losing distance due to the wrist torque unfolding the club to early.

Status
Not open for further replies.