The Science of Smash (Alpha, Beta & Gamma Torques) April '15 Golf Digest Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not get this to open so I can read about the torque in the swing. I have read it before when the article came out but can not find it now.l

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/121990372?color=fa0a5a" width="720" height="405" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/121990372">Science of Smash - Drills and Concepts from the April '15 Golf Digest Article by Brian Manzella</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/brianmanzella">Brian Manzella</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

thank you

ok I have read everything and watched the video a number of times.

My question now is how do I hold the chest facing away from the target, until I get the arms into the proper position half way down?

Last edited:
This video really cleared up the torque questions I had after reading the article. Thanks, really easy to understand. Interesting watching Justin Rose practicing Beta torque before hitting shots at the memorial. He should have thought about that before he shanked the fairway bunker shot on 18!

mp29

New
thank you

ok I have read everything and watched the video a number of times.

My question now is how do I hold the chest facing away from the target, until I get the arms into the proper position half way down?

I do it by dropping the torso with a slight increase in knee bend. Hogan did it with a slight increase in waist bend, which hurts my lower back.

Last edited:
I do it by dropping the torso with a slight increase in knee bend. Hogan did it with a slight increase in waist bend, which hurts my lower back.
Isn't it that Hogan did it by turning his hips while keeping on pushing the club back on top? Got him to left arm parallel, Alpha torque still intact, Beta torque negatived, Gamma torqued positived, club lays off, returning to forward bend with right side bend, and left side extension starting. Studied him for years.

mp29

New
Isn't it that Hogan did it by turning his hips while keeping on pushing the club back on top? Got him to left arm parallel, Alpha torque still intact, Beta torque negatived, Gamma torqued positived, club lays off, returning to forward bend with right side bend, and left side extension starting. Studied him for years.

I see his head dropping but not his hips during the lateral shift from the top, before the hips turn, resulting in the arm drop. But you've been looking at Hogan a lot longer than I have!

I see his head dropping but not his hips during the lateral shift from the top, before the hips turn, resulting in the arm drop. But you've been looking at Hogan a lot longer than I have!
I see his hips turned a bit already while hips has moved laterally withiut his head moving laterally. This is why his head drops...his left side is bending outwards quite a bit, so head has to drop. In the meantime, look at his left shoulder, only a tiny bit open, which is why I think he is actively trying to keep it back/closed during transition (which I think is exactly what Brian is saying).

What I see. I could be wrong though.

mp29

New
I see his hips turned a bit already while hips has moved laterally withiut his head moving laterally. This is why his head drops...his left side is bending outwards quite a bit, so head has to drop. In the meantime, look at his left shoulder, only a tiny bit open, which is why I think he is actively trying to keep it back/closed during transition (which I think is exactly what Brian is saying).

What I see. I could be wrong though.

No doubt that you're right about the shoulders.

No doubt that you're right about the shoulders.
Yup. If you just shift weigh or lower the body or torso and head, the hips wouldn't be open enough and left shoulder wouldn't be close enough. Not to mention the club and wrist uncocking too early too much; you would have to float load to avoid this, but that wouldn't be Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.