The slow play at The Farmer's Tournament on Monday at Torrey Pines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I did think it was odd that the tour guys could only play 25 holes or so on Sunday in 8 hours. That equals 20 minutes per hole...in threesomes. They ought to have a strict time limit of 15 minutes per hole. If you don't get done, automatic one stroke penalty on each hole over 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Not so sure if there are bigger issues

Pro tour/ game there might be bigger issues, but outside of that slow play is huge issue for the game.

PGA tour play influences amateur play in terms of mannerisms and preshot routine.
On many Saturday and Sundays on my home course, it is impossible to complete a round under 5 hours. Yes there are lots of factors that influence this (i.e. playing the wrong tees, overbooking etc) however, I still see a ton of players not pulling their club until there playing partners have hit, not checking their GPS, not playing ready golf etc. The amount of leisure time I have available is dwindling every year, as I am sure many others are. I don't have time to play 3 hour 9 hole rounds. Unless it improves, I suspect we will gradually see more and more people move away from the game.

Clubs and course owners have to take responsibility for this as well.

If you put too many players out on a course at the same time, it slows everybody up.

jimmyt

New
I did think it was odd that the tour guys could only play 25 holes or so on Sunday in 8 hours. That equals 20 minutes per hole...in threesomes. They ought to have a strict time limit of 15 minutes per hole. If you don't get done, automatic one stroke penalty on each hole over 15 minutes.

It's not the Sunday round that was soooooooo slow, it was the Monday finish. The group in front of Tiger was always a hole behind, additionally it seemed as if Tiger's group was waiting 8-10 minutes over every shot.

Really tough to watch.

A written description I think would not suffice--had to be watched. Persistent behavior by each member of the forward group and the TV coverage "rubbed it in" for almost every second on the green until late in the round. Before they finished it was mentioned that they were a full par 5 behind but that isn't adequate either. My question for forum members who have professional tour experience is what options were available to Tiger's group?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
It's not the Sunday round that was soooooooo slow, it was the Monday finish. The group in front of Tiger was always a hole behind, additionally it seemed as if Tiger's group was waiting 8-10 minutes over every shot.

Really tough to watch.

I realize Monday's round was slower, I was pointing out that they should have easily been able to play 36 on Sunday. Slow is slow, no matter the day on Tour.

Monday was atrocious. Finchem and every employee of the PGA Tour proper should be embarrassed.

Pro tour/ game there might be bigger issues, but outside of that slow play is huge issue for the game.

PGA tour play influences amateur play in terms of mannerisms and preshot routine.
On many Saturday and Sundays on my home course, it is impossible to complete a round under 5 hours. Yes there are lots of factors that influence this (i.e. playing the wrong tees, overbooking etc) however, I still see a ton of players not pulling their club until there playing partners have hit, not checking their GPS, not playing ready golf etc. The amount of leisure time I have available is dwindling every year, as I am sure many others are. I don't have time to play 3 hour 9 hole rounds. Unless it improves, I suspect we will gradually see more and more people move away from the game.

Word. To this I add: carefully removing and replacing head covers, looking for my lost ball even after I have dropped and played another (we have a modified lost ball rule here), looking for a lost ball when it will be certainly unplayable even if found, plumb bobbing, marking two foot putts, standing on the green marking score, lengthy discussion on who is away in the fairway when the difference is a matter of feet.

Drew

ZAP

New
Slow play is my biggest pet peeve. There really cannot be that much to think about. These guys have books full of information and a caddy to help them make decisions. I realize they are playing for their livelihood but people in higher stress jobs make faster decisions every day about things which are much more important and much more complicated.

jimmyt

New
Just asking what is an uncomfortable question.

Do you think the group that was delaying things was given a lot of leash because of Erik Compton? Asking him to speed it up may = bad press!

Just asking...........

What problem?

What made yesterday slower than any other Tour round? The weather was fine. The rough was not US Open deep. They had fans, officials, caddies and volunteers to look for lost balls just like always. There were more players in the 4th round than usual, but still much less than first or second rounds...and play was much slower.

I don't get it.

Had Tiger not been leading, the viewing audience would have been ZERO. I'm trying to get my members to move along and they're watching THAT...

I don't quite get the disconnect wrt slow play between the USGA and the PGA. Anyone who's entered a USGA qualifier knows that you're assigned a prominent bag tag number so the officials can monitor pace of play of your group and my experience has been that they are not bashful about penalizing slow groups/players.

The PGA needs to grow a pair and start slapping 2-strokes on the offenders. Does anyone remember the last time any PGA player was penalized for slow play? I couldn't so I googled it.... it was Glen Day..... 18 years ago! AYKM?? In every sport the athletes are playing for their livelihood and baseball and football are not shy about suspending players for those things they've deemed to be detrimental to the sport.......marquee player or not. I assure you if the Tour would start doling out penalties to any and all offenders this problem would go away!!! As with anything you have to hit em in the pocket-book. If 2-strokes starts costing a player $100K, he'll find a way to speed up.

Yet the PGA is more worried about putter anchoring.

Just a comment based on my round today, it was 65 (temp not score). So I am 67 and my buddy is 75. We show up as a two some and are joined by a 22 year old flat belly who is going to college, has 2 grand worth of Titleist clubs, clean towel, unscuffed bag, etc. It was apparent to us that the lad had watched way too much tourament golf. We assess , waggle, and hit it. He is screwing around every little thing. Marking 2 foot putts during a who cares round. Took forever. Drove me crazy. I also beat him by 3 shots.

I play 90% of my golf at off peak times for this very reason. Just can't stand it. I can usually zip around my club in 2.5 hours and sometimes not see a soul.

Mama likes that too!

Continuous putting, no marking second putt
20 seconds to play a shot after fellow competitors ball stops rolling
Players read putts simultaneously after all have reached green. 20 seconds to read
Must putt within 15 seconds after FC putts out
Penalties assessed strokes, not for out of place, but for each violation of these (or whatever) rules

Ben Crane, nick Ohern just lost their cards!

Match play different times for obvious reasons.

These guys are like actors when the lights come on. Player A's ball lands on the green, they pan back to Player B, and THEN his pre shot planning begins. What was he doing while A was in HIS PRE SHOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.