The Sweep Release thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brian,

Sorry to see that the "LG" thread disappeared.

Given the comments on her 'sweep release' vs the proponents of the later 'snap' release -

Is it not entirely possible that equal or better distance can be achieved with the 'sweep' as it allows for a slower and steadier movement of the clubface allowing for a better chance of solid contact, whereas a later 'snap' is more prone to mishits due to the fact the clubface must "close" more rapidly.

True distance is not just the result of speed

Just a thought.

Thanks and good luck at your new "digs".

Bruce

I'm interested in hearing more about the sweep release. In the past I allowed myself to believe that the only way I'd hit the ball well was by having a lot of trigger delay and by hammering the ball into the ground. Basically, I thought I had to hit the ball like Sergio or Boo. Obviously I was confused.

It was weird though, because even as I had those types of delusional thoughts, I noticed that I hit the ball very well when taking almost no divot. I really felt more like I was brushing the grass, which I was. I guess I still feel as if I hit the ball when when I brush the grass. When I worked with Brian, he was basically trying to stop me from making too much of a cut swing, going hard left and down, too much divot. The shots I hit really well were launched slightly higher, had a tendency to draw, and had shallower divots. I'm not sure if I was making more of a sweep release, but I'm eager to find out more about it as it might apply to my swing.

I would say the distance the ball travels is related to about 95% of the speed of the club at impact assuming a centered hit the remaining 5% is the delivered loft and equipment.

Speed is king

...assuming center of face contact, face angle within a few degrees of perfect, swing path within a few degrees of perfect...

A lot of assuming there Jim, don't you think?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
...assuming center of face contact, face angle within a few degrees of perfect, swing path within a few degrees of perfect...

A lot of assuming there Jim, don't you think?

Nope...all i'm assuming is center face contact. The true loft at impact isn't going to effect your distance too dramactially unless you are severly delofting the club or severly increasing the loft of the club. So for instance if you are consistently delofting an iron shot by 2 clubs and then stop doing that, sure your yardage will change significantly but a lot of people don't make those types of changes. Typically good irons players have developed a certain amount of delivered loft over time and you really don't want to change that too much.

Either way you might be talking about maybe 1 club of distance in an iron which isn't a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.