the toe cuts, the heel digs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azinger also described Adam Scott's swing as "he really drives the legs forward". Do good players really do this? Or do the legs simply need to get out of the way for the arms?

Azinger said "the toe cuts, the heel digs" like five times after Tiger got steep with a wedge that came up short and right. He also said the great wedge players take the smallest if any divots, which I did understand. I just couldn't get the point he was trying to make with this comment.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think what he meant was that you want to use more of the bounce of your wedge when hitting wedge shots rather than the leading edge all the time. If you use more leading edge type shots the heel generally will come in first and can dig and force you to be too steep or close the face too quickly. If you open the face SLIGHTLY and cut across the ball a bit more you'll more toe-side of the face (like a bunker shot) and you'll be using more of the bounce and won't take such a divot.

Essentially he's saying, the best wedge players play something similar to the mid sole pitch shot but as a full shot.

Lee Buck dug graves with his wedges and was one of the best ever. I cant see how attack angle effects heel/toe exposure. I've seen a lot of toe deep divots too. Lie angle and face angle yes, not attack angle necessarily. In fact, I think mid sole pitches have to be steeper than leading edge to avoid skulls and de-lofted, leading edge pitches have to be shallower to avoid digs

This has definitely been my experience: if you're going to lean the shaft forward, just scrape the ground; if you're going to lean the shaft back, you need to thump the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.