Theodore Prey Jorgensen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much has been written on this forum about the D-Plane and considerable attribution has rightly been made to Dr. Jorgensen. I thought I would share the obituary that was published in Physics Today in 2006 upon his passing:

"Theodore Prey Jorgensen, born 13 November 1905, died in Lincoln, Nebraska, on 2 April 2006.

He entered the University of Nebraska in 1923, receiving his BA in 1928 and his MA in 1930. He received his PhD from Harvard in 1935. After serving as an instructor at Harvard and Clark University, he returned to the University of Nebraska physics department in 1938, where he enjoyed the rest of his teaching career.

During World War II he was recruited to serve with the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, New Mexico (1943-46). He was present at the first atomic bomb test at the Trinity Site on 16 July 1945, assisting with measuring the strength of the explosion.

Returning to the University of Nebraska, he directed the Nebraska Accelerator Project (1946-67), was department chair (1949-52), and received a distinguished teaching award (1963). After retiring in 1975, he directed his energies to golf research and the writing of his book The Physics of Golf (AIP Press, 1994), which has been translated into Japanese and Korean. His last research paper, "Relativity and the Quantum," was published in 1998 in the International Journal of Theoretical Physics.

Jorgensen was a Fellow of the American Physical Society and a member of Sigma Xi, Phi Betta Kappa, Pi Mu Epsilon, and Sigma Tau.

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy, of Lincoln, Nebraska, and three stepchildren. He is also survived by his daughter, Joanna J. Kaestner, one grandson, and two great grandchildren, all of Albuquerque, New Mexico."

He taught physics at the college level for 28 years. If you read "The Physics of Golf" it's apparent this man loved the game desperately. According to the obit, it took him 19 years to write the book. He published it, yes you read that right, when he was 89 years old. And, let's not forget, he helped develop the atomic bomb.

Quite a capstone to a distinguished career. To the best of my knowledge, Brian is the only PGA professional who has given this man the credit he deserves.

Last edited:
I meant that understanding golf can be harder than rocket science because of all the BS that floats around out there. I can see now how there was very little context to my comment.

I meant that understanding golf can be harder than rocket science because of all the BS that floats around out there. I can see now how there was very little context to my comment.

I am still not getting your meaning?
I think that since Brian explained D plane to me my understanding of what causes the ball to go where it does has helped me to improve my swing and my game overall.
I think this information was a huge breakthrough in teaching and learning how to play golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.