"There is no such thing as a natural touch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to be the right sort of practice - the sort with good feedback and accurate corrections supplied at the right time.

Whether that feedback is from a coach or from your own accurate observations about your game is up to you.

But if guys are practicing crappy principles, they may not improve at all.

Having some kind of green or practice area in beside your house would make a huge difference (as I believe Phil Mickelson and Seve did).

hue

New
I think touch is developed through doing other activities while you are young. Think about a little kid playing catch. They will wing the ball at you full force from two feet away until they develop speed control.

I think you are right . I gave a few lessons friend of mine who was really good 100+ break snooker player. He had natural rhythm and touch and his chipping and putting skills came on really quickly.

Burner

New
Touch is a learned behavior!

Touch is like any other motor skill. Some have it in abundance and refine it. Some have less and work on it to their advantage and some simply do not have it and are incapable of developing it.

Burner - it's the last bit you posted that is starting to look a bit flimsy.

My understanding is that, increasingly, motor skills are seen as the outcome of both quality and quantity of practice. Not something that you either have or don't have. Of course, I agree completely that some people never do develop those skills. Often those people are put down as "unco" or cack-handed, even in their own words. In my experience, very few adults practice conscientiously at anything.

Burner

New
Burner - it's the last bit you posted that is starting to look a bit flimsy.

My understanding is that, increasingly, motor skills are seen as the outcome of both quality and quantity of practice. Not something that you either have or don't have. Of course, I agree completely that some people never do develop those skills. Often those people are put down as "unco" or cack-handed, even in their own words. In my experience, very few adults practice conscientiously at anything.

My point is that despite repeated and prolonged practise sessions, those that don't have some element of motor skills in the first place are not going to acquire them.

Some are dainty and some are just plain clumsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.