They call him Flipper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All.

Let me start by introducing myself. I am a Assistant Pro with a country club in southeastern USA. I am also a flipper. I passed the PAT, enrolled in the PGA PGM program, played high school golf rather competitively and maintained around a 3.1 hdcp all while flipping.

I have always been a terrible (by PGA club pro standards) ball striker. My short game and putting are the only reason I remain competitive. I started playing golf when I was 15 years old (kinda late). With my only swing experience before that being baseball I naturally thought I could take the same approach with golf. I was hooked. My parents found an instructor to teach me the basic concept of my first golf swing. To this day, 13 years later, my swing is still haunted by what he told me. "Don't move anything other then your arms and your hands when you swing the club. Lock your knees and bend at the waist." Needless to say, his teaching got rid of my baseball slice and taught me to FLIP. Obviously, that is not the way I still swing. I have learned to be very adapt at faking a good golf swing. I am a good athlete, well balanced, my take away has incredible extension, and my finish looks like the shadow of Ben Hogan himself. BUT IT'S ALL FAKE. In slow motion one can easily see that my hands are golf stupid. I think some times I even unhinge my wrist before my arms reach parallel to the ground. IT IS BAD.

Yesterday I played with our club champion who immediately noticed my flaw. He told me I needed to "twist back", "put the club on the movie screen", "hit from wall to wall". All these things I had never heard of. He told me, "Go to www.brianmanzella.com. Watch his vids on youtube. It might help you." So I am here.

So last night when I got home I watched all 6 episodes. OMG! I soaked this stuff in like a cactus in December. Especially for me episode 5 hit the spot. I loved the idea of the "hands first/club head follows" take away. The whip action like a fisherman casting. And the twist away. At impact, if I got the angles correct, I knew that I was going to slice it if I didn't have a flat left wrist. After reading as much as I could on the forums in one night. I couldn't wait to get out on the range the next day. This morning I started short. Like Brian says, teach yourself the correct impact feel. I started with some chips (maybe 200 balls) rehearsing my backswing after each one. Just trying to get the twist away and whip action down. After that I moved to a full swing. I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I WAS DOING! I felt I was compressing the ball into the ground my 7 iron was flying 170s. My backswing got shorter, my swing became much easier to control and I felt much better tempo. I only had 3 swing thoughts in my mind.

1. Twist away and maintain a flat left wrist (I had heard of this but it was never possible for me to successfully hit a ball like this because my impact angles were so poor)
2. Lag the club head on take away. Continue to lap it all the way until I start my down swing. Just like the 2x4 idea that Mr. Manzella gave in his episode. Click Click Click all the way up. I might have even added some sound effects.
3. Drive the ball into the ground. Or bottom out my swing several inches after the ball.

Those 3 things completely changed my swing. I hit 15 seven irons in a row straight and 165-170. That never has never happened to me. Thank you Mr. Manzella!

Your comments/thoughts are welcome.

After reading my post I have a few more thoughts.

I don't want people to get the wrong idea about my mindset the last 5 years. I knew I unhinged my wrist way to early in my swing and I was trying everything maintain my wrist angle through impact. EVERYTHING.

-I had taken lessons from well known instructors.
-Used different drills to try and teach my hands what they needed to do.
-Video taped myself so many times I can't even count.
-Can we say launch monitor.
-Changing iron lofts and lies.

Nothing translated. Now I know why. If by chance I did get something close to a good impact position (hitting down on the ball and hands out in front) I had no shot to hit it straight because my left wrist was always rolled. The result was I hit it right. Dead right. Who wants to do that? So I just went back to practicing my perfect flip. A darn good flip at that. It had to be. I could hit a 9 iron 110 dead straight and hold a green 9/10 times. I basically turned every iron shot into a long flop shot (so to speak) and routinely scored high 70s.

Last year I realized I had no business in golf, much less teaching others, unless I could change my swing and understand how I did it. After all that practice and all that searching the light went on. Brian's illustration of Jack's take away and front load was the perfect pill. After all, it is easier to go to a position than it is to hold it. Now that my pivot has already started back toward the hole before my wrist is set it would be impossible to flip and make contact. It is so easy I have no idea why I never thought of it. I am kinda embarrassed actually. Now comes the fun part. 1000 balls a day for the next 4 months to ingrain this new move.

Last edited:
Good Stuff JT...kudos for starting the transformation. I too (and still am at times) a massive flipper. Although shooting in the 70's is the exception for me, we sound like we have similar problems. All the answers are here. I would suggest picking up Confessions of a Former Flipper as well. Good Luck!

If he's are a Christian, that's like saying your surprised he knew so little about God before finding Jesus. Hell. he's now ahead of Flick, for Manzella's sake!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Welcome JThom!

Thanks for the kind words. I am THRILLED to hear that you are hitting it BETTER now that you have some good information.

The "twistaway"—the way I teach it—is the KEY to be able to "hit the box," which is just another way of saying that you need to hit he abll with the whole club.

Self-Mastery, you would be SHOCKED at the response I get when I do a PGA seminar. The word shocked and totally befuddled come to mind. EXACTLY what would happen if I went to a kindergarten class and told them Santa Claus wasn't real.

Mr. Thompson, do you have Never Slice Again 2.0?

Nothing related to your post, just curious to know what the requirements to your PAT is? Thanks

The Professional Abilities Test, or PAT is two 18 hole rounds. In order to pass a player must shoot at or bellow the rating times 2 plus 15. It is held from the middle tees (average yardage) and pins are cut in the center. So for instance, if one were to take the PAT at a course where the rating is 70.8 from the middle tees, double that (141.6) then add 15 (156.6). You would have to shoot an average of 78 to pass. Once a player/prospective pro has passed they now have completed the playing part of the entry testing into the PGA of America.

nice post but it's odd that you knew so little as a pga club pro before finding Brian...

You're right. It turns out I did "know so little" about the true golf swing. I only know what the PGA of America has taught me thus far. Don't get me wrong. They do a great job teaching the business of golf, golf rules and golf etiquette (which is probably the most important thing to learn when learning to run a golf course) but they don't teach the golf swing. The PGA assumes that if you passed the PAT you are competent to play. In some respects they are correct. I have taught many good ball strikers to be great golfers. Course management, short game and putting are never to be overlooked. I have met many mini tour players (excellent ball strikers) who aren't even close to good enough to play on the PGA tour because their emotions, preparation, patients or touch around the green is so lacking.

Episode 5 is a life changing masterpiece. It should be the first thing anyone sees after they learn chip and pitch.
Required watching for any "human shaped golfer".

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You're right. It turns out I did "know so little" about the true golf swing. I only know what the PGA of America has taught me thus far. Don't get me wrong. They do a great job teaching the business of golf, golf rules and golf etiquette (which is probably the most important thing to learn when learning to run a golf course) but they don't teach the golf swing. The PGA assumes that if you passed the PAT you are competent to play. In some respects they are correct. I have taught many good ball strikers to be great golfers. Course management, short game and putting are never to be overlooked. I have met many mini tour players (excellent ball strikers) who aren't even close to good enough to play on the PGA tour because their emotions, preparation, patients or touch around the green is so lacking.

So have you figured out what the REAL ball flight laws are yet or are you still going by what the PGA tells you?

So have you figured out what the REAL ball flight laws are yet or are you still going by what the PGA tells you?

I always knew what impact should look like. I was just unable to recreate it as well as I wanted to. The PGM program was no help. Brian's philosophies have helped enormously. I will always "go by" and teach what I have learned and what I feel is going to help a student the most.

Last edited:
PGA Rant

A sad commentary on the PGA of America -

The education process for assistants is more geared on "how to sell a shirt" than it is on teaching someone to play better golf.

The PGA of America is more about "big business" - Merchandise Shows - Ryder Cup - PGA Champ. than anything else.

Too bad the teaching summit is not a bigger thing than the PGA Mdse Show.

As a PGA member for 39 years, I feel somewhat qualified to comment as above.

Bruce

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I always knew what impact should look like. I was just unable to recreate as well as I wanted to. The PGM program were no help. Brian's philosophies have helped enormously. I now will "go by" what I have learned.

No i dont mean impact condition, i mean the "ball flight laws." That state the path has more influence on ball flight than the clubface does.

Buy all the videos

J,

I've been at this darn game a long time and have met some wonderful teachers. Most are steeped in TGM or are authorized instructors. I'm a PGA member and can tell you that the PGA does a poor job teaching young men and women the mechanics of striking a ball much less in passing that on to students.

Get all of Brian's videos (I have). Watch each video five times or more (I have). Buy a copy of the 7th edition and muddle through it for the next ten years. Furthermore, visit Ben Doyle's site and buy all his videos too! Some other sites have excellent video at no charge.

Take it all in and your ball striking will match your short game....look out. Besides, you'll feel like you can really give someone a lesson and know they are getting a bargain no matter what you charge them.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.