Thin Shots - Less Curvature - Trackman Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I hit my iron shots thin (and even my woods for that matter) the shot goes relatively straight. I understand that vertical gear effect will cause a shot hit below the COG to have more spin. However, why does a thin shot (generally) go straight? I presume a thin shot doesn't tilt the spin axis as must but I don't know exactly why. Launch angle play a role? Less dispersion between path and face angle for thin shots?? I'm not advocating thin shots, but if I had to hit a straight shot to save my life I would hit the shot thin instead of trying to take a divot.

When I hit my iron shots thin (and even my woods for that matter) the shot goes relatively straight. I understand that vertical gear effect will cause a shot hit below the COG to have more spin. However, why does a thin shot (generally) go straight? I presume a thin shot doesn't tilt the spin axis as must but I don't know exactly why. Launch angle play a role? Less dispersion between path and face angle for thin shots?? I'm not advocating thin shots, but if I had to hit a straight shot to save my life I would hit the shot thin instead of trying to take a divot.

do you understand why the higher the loft the less curvature there is? D-Plane and TrackMan answers on Vimeo

The angle of the d-plane equals the spin loft. As you thin a shot because of the gear effect you increase spin loft and therefore the d-plane angle. Club face direction and club face orientation stays (almost) the same so as a result the d-plan is less tilted. As spin axis is 90 degrees relative to the D-plane you end up with less spin axis.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The angle of the d-plane equals the spin loft. As you thin a shot because of the gear effect you increase spin loft and therefore the d-plane angle. Club face direction and club face orientation stays (almost) the same so as a result the d-plan is less tilted. As spin axis is 90 degrees relative to the D-plane you end up with less spin axis.

More reason why "thinnier" chips and pitches will probably make you more accurate in your short game.

Eh? Thinning INCREASES the spin loft? I don't understand....

Surely a thin shot has less spin on it....does that not account for this effect on it's own?

Don't spin and height strongly correlate?

Generally a shot that flies higher than the loft of the club says it should is going to curve more for the opposite reason.

Vertical gear effect on thin shots. Hits below the COG have MORE spin than hits above the COG (all things equal). More gear effect in woods than irons.

Why is it that I hit my driver straighter with less spin than more spin? Not sure how the D plane angle increases with spin loft (have to double check the definition). I think I'm close.

Surely a thin shot has less spin on it....does that not account for this effect on it's own?

Generally a shot that flies higher than the loft of the club says it should is going to curve more for the opposite reason.

Thin shots have more spin because of vertical gear effect. Launch angle and spin and ball speed account for height.

A ball with lots of spin can balloon, so yes it could get higher. However main difference between a low and high ball with the same spin is that the low ball will hit the ground sooner then the high ball allowing less time for the tilted spin axis to effect the trajectory.

Why is it that I hit my driver straighter with less spin than more spin? Not sure how the D plane angle increases with spin loft (have to double check the definition). I think I'm close.

Trackman newletter 5,page 1 : link http://www.trackman.dk/download/newsletter/newsletter5.pdf
The Secret of the `Straight Shot´ II said:
The D-plane is the wedge-shaped plane between two 3-dimensional
directions: 1) clubhead direction at impact which is described
by attack angle and club path and 2) clubface orientation
at impact which is described by dynamic loft and face angle. In
the figure below, the yellow shaded wedge-shaped plane is the
D-plane. Note that the angle of the D-plane is actually the spin loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.