Thoughts from practice round at the Ryder Cup today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Europeans, with a few exceptions, hit the ball much lower than Americans with just about all clubs. Generally makes sense due to weather conditions and style of golf each would learn to play as they grow up.

As i've said forever, many guys on tour aren't as super long as you might expect and many of you (yes you reading this) can hit your driver as far or possible farther than them as many hit the ball lower and with more spin and thus they end up shorter BUT because of manicured fairways they get a minimum of 15 yards of roll and in most cases closer to 20-25. Don't believe me? Go play a course local to you after the PGA or the Web.com tour rolls through town and you'll find yourself in places you aren't normally. Case in point, i followed Furyk/Simpson/Watson/Kuchar for a couple holes and on #1 Furyk hit it well and got about 20 yards of roll in the fairway - Kuchar basically hooked it so far left i think he dropped a ball but similar distance - Simpson carried his into the bunker approximately as far as Furyk hit is drive - Watson is just as long as you might think; he CARRIED Furyk's ending drive by about 20 yards but it must have been a bit of a fade because it landed at a fairly steep angle and didn't roll out much.

I've now seen Tiger hit balls at the range for the 3rd time in my life and he is the definition of Ranger Rick, he really is. So controlled and smooth if he could only be that guy all the time on the course. I wonder if he just over thinks it on the course. I followed him, Johson, Stricker, and i forgot who else was in their group for a couple holes and they all seemed to be hitting it well.

Saw a lot, a lllllllllllllllot, of "centered" type pivots on the range. Very little head movement, much less shoulder turn with the irons. However all had what to me, looked like a more orthodox backswing move. If you know me at all you know i really don't like laid off backswings and for a while there were a bunch on tour and few made it work well.

All professionals, no matter american or euro, are MASTERS of low point control.

As coach said in a different post, there is basically no rough. I mean, there is very little if at all any difference between the first cut and what is supposed to be the rough. It's a long long course so i imagine that big rough would make it unnecessarily hard. If there was ever a course to tee it high and watch it fly this is it. The weekend weather is going to be FANTASTIC for golf, cool/slight warm with a touch of wind and with all the trees they removed on that course it's going to be difficult for sure.

PGAtour.com profile lists Zach Johson as 5'11" and 160lbs....no bleeping way! Now maybe my depth perception is off but he didn't look more than 5'8" - 5'9" tops to me from a distance of about 20 feet and he looks like he is built similar as a friend of mine who on his best day soaking wet is 140lbs (As a reference i am a smidgen short of a true 5'11" and this morning i weighed in at 208lbs and i have a muscular frame but could stand to lose another 20lbs compared to the rail that is Zach Johson). Similar thing to Tiger and others and even the other professional sports, always take the "listed" weight/height with a grain of salt.

That's about it, if you have questions let me know and i'll try to answer.

Last edited:
Jim,
Thanks for that write-up. I always get a kick from reading that sort of stuff from someone who knows what he's looking at.

It's interesting you should note the lower ball flights of the Europeans...It's hard to believe that Molinari, Colsaerts, Kaymer, Hanson and Garcia ever felt the need to flight the ball down in their formative years given their respective junior environments. I grew up in the same neck of the woods as Lee Westwood and there was no need to hit it low there. Poulter and Rose never grew up by the seaside and Luke Donald seems to have played most of his important golf in the US; indeed, many of the Euros finished their golfing education at US schools, so I can only see McIlroy, McDowell and perhaps Paul Lawrie having that ball flight programmed in to their DNA.

So, oddly enough, we would expect lower ball flight from the Euros; indeed, that's what they do, as you witnessed today, but it can't be because of the conditions that they grew up in. I wonder what it is?

Thanks once again, Jim, and I look forward to more of your musings if you're going back in the next couple of days...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim,
Thanks for that write-up. I always get a kick from reading that sort of stuff from someone who knows what he's looking at.

It's interesting you should note the lower ball flights of the Europeans...It's hard to believe that Molinari, Colsaerts, Kaymer, Hanson and Garcia ever felt the need to flight the ball down in their formative years given their respective junior environments. I grew up in the same neck of the woods as Lee Westwood and there was no need to hit it low there. Poulter and Rose never grew up by the seaside and Luke Donald seems to have played most of his important golf in the US; indeed, many of the Euros finished their golfing education at US schools, so I can only see McIlroy, McDowell and perhaps Paul Lawrie having that ball flight programmed in to their DNA.

So, oddly enough, we would expect lower ball flight from the Euros; indeed, that's what they do, as you witnessed today, but it can't be because of the conditions that they grew up in. I wonder what it is?

Thanks once again, Jim, and I look forward to more of your musings if you're going back in the next couple of days...

I apologize for my assumptions, you clearly proved me wrong on them especially since Rory hits a moon ball. I really don't know what it is, i saw Tiger/Stricker/Furyk all on the range at once and they all generally hit it higher than the Euros i saw which were Hanson, Lowrie, Rose.

I apologize for my assumptions, you clearly proved me wrong on them especially since Rory hits a moon ball. I really don't know what it is, i saw Tiger/Stricker/Furyk all on the range at once and they all generally hit it higher than the Euros i saw which were Hanson, Lowrie, Rose.

LOL There's no need to apologize, Jim; I trust what you saw and your assumptions are quite natural in the absence of any other reasoning, which I'm also at a loss to provide.
Maybe it's an interesting topic for a future thread.
Thanks once again and keep the reports coming
BTW Did anybody REALLY stand out in terms of ball-striking?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Only really got to observe on the range for a bit, i'd say out of everyone i saw on the range Furyk and Woods were hitting it best imo. Hanson was having some issues and i'd say lowrie was just "ok."

With the course setup as it is, what would you reckon the winning score in a 4 day medal tournament? Low? Real low?

Jim -

I appreciate this on the ground insight. Please keep us posted if you are there this week(end). I'm beginning to wonder if it's easier to score on tour than in college events? Just like in the NBA it is easier to score than in college. (I've been friends with a couple NBA players who told me so). The marketing takes precedence in almost every sport. (Obviously some courses prevent scoring like a US Open).

With the course setup as it is, what would you reckon the winning score in a 4 day medal tournament? Low? Real low?
Tiger shot 18 under in the 2006 PGA, when he was well past his prime. I'm guessing they would be going 22-24 under this week.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Unfortunately i don't have weekend tickets so i'll be watching on TV like the rest of you. Tiger won in '06 @ -18, Shaun Micheal 2nd @ -13, and Luke Donald 3rd @ -12. I don't see why on a 4 day medal play similar scores could happen but i'd say the biggest difference is going to be the wind. It wasn't too bad while i was out there today but it did gust randomly and on a few holes it was quite noticeable.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim -

I appreciate this on the ground insight. Please keep us posted if you are there this week(end). I'm beginning to wonder if it's easier to score on tour than in college events? Just like in the NBA it is easier to score than in college. (I've been friends with a couple NBA players who told me so). The marketing takes precedence in almost every sport. (Obviously some courses prevent scoring like a US Open).

Web.com tour, probably, but not the PGA Tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.