Tiger.......ehhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz,

Are there any golfers ranked high on the world rankings with swing techniques that you like? Who knows, maybe you think they're all bad. If you do think that, then which swings are the least bad?

As said many times before, I like swings resembling Hogan, Snead & co., the most based on a pivot controlled motions performend sequentially from the ground up and core out with a slow RoC between last parallel in the downswing and first in the follow through. Unfortunately, there are no many swings on Tour now that matches these criteria. I would choose, however golfers such as Manassero, Mahan, Durant, Oosthuizen, Immelman, Rock, McCarron just to name a few. The best of all is Furyk's downswing though.

Cheers

As said many times before, I like swings resembling Hogan, Snead & co., the most based on a pivot controlled motions performend sequentially from the ground up and core out with a slow RoC between last parallel in the downswing and first in the follow through. Unfortunately, there are no many swings on Tour now that matches these criteria. I would choose, however golfers such as Manassero, Mahan, Durant, Oosthuizen, Immelman, Rock, McCarron just to name a few. The best of all is Furyk's downswing though.

Cheers

Fascinating! Why do you love Furyk's downswing more than, say, Manassero's?

And what exactly does "slow RoC between last parallel in the downswing and first in the follow through" mean?

Dariusz J.

Fascinating! Why do you love Furyk's downswing more than, say, Manassero's?

Again, as said earlier quite a few times here and there, Furyk's great downswing pivot let him achieve a very open position of both his hips as well as (sequentially less open, but still pretty open) shoulders. It, consequently, forces both humera be bound with torso which is just the essence of a pivot driven motion. No other player today has a comparable pivot quality to Furyk. And the results speak for themselves.

And what exactly does "slow RoC between last parallel in the downswing and first in the follow through" mean?

Exactly what is written -- that the clubface rate of closure in relation to the arc is small in the wide impact zone. A polar opposite of what happens with a crossover release. The vast majority of best ballstrikers had it. Out of today's players -- again, Furyk's capable to achieve it even similarily to Hogan in his prime, i.e. post-secret.

Look at this series of photos (click on them to make them bigger and scroll to move them) and you'll see everything clearily:

Biokinetic Golf Swing Theory: Furyk's Case

Cheers

Look at this series of photos (click on them to make them bigger and scroll to move them) and you'll see everything clearily:

Biokinetic Golf Swing Theory: Furyk's Case

Cheers

Very nice work D!

jimmyt

New

Cheers

Dariusz,

We have spoken before and I did miss you while you were away for a short time. With the exception of a couple of players you have comprised a list with very limited success in the span of thier respective careers. You may like the way thier swings look and appreciate thier functionality, but at the end of the day those players are not a billboard for future Hall of Famers.

Sorry

But did he get better because he changed his swing? Or was he just that good to begin with? I believe Tiger can win with any swing you have him copy. This is where we can agree to disagree on the matter, and it doesn't bug me one bit.

And I think Tiger's stint of poor play in between Haney and Foley maybe, just maybe, had something to do with his personal life errors crashing down onto his head and breaking up his family. Jack never let himself get into such a mess. His personal life was ALWAYS his backbone, and he put being a great father and husband first before EVERYTHING.

I am not advocating have absolutely nothing in your head but "wack the ball!" when you play, either. I am in line with Harvey Penick and "taking dead aim." Target golf. Shanks are a totally different story. ;) Don't get it twisted. I put in work on the range and am a nutcase just like everyone else trying to make my motion work. But once it's time to play, I am there. That includes whether my swing is working or not.

Today was prime example; this will go down as a "Foley" win but no other tour player, maybe ever, could have won by 4 shots hitting it like that. Yet when they count it up in the record book it's 75 for Tiger, 4 of them with Foley. Woods is the best EVER at getting the golf ball in the hole, no matter the coach IMO.

Last edited:
jimmyt, in Dariusz's defense, he's talking just specifically about a type of swing and some of the guys he's mentioned are some of the best ball strikers in the world. I believe Durant was in the top ten in greens in regulation for several consecutive years and in fact may still hold the lowest score for a pga tournament, at the Hope a few years ago.

Joe D never was a great putter though. Furyk one of the best ball strikers on tour over the last 10 years and I think Trackman had him closer to zero'd out than any golfer on tour.

jimmyt

New
jimmyt, in Dariusz's defense, he's talking just specifically about a type of swing and some of the guys he's mentioned are some of the best ball strikers in the world. I believe Durant was in the top ten in greens in regulation for several consecutive years and in fact may still hold the lowest score for a pga tournament, at the Hope a few years ago.

Joe D never was a great putter though. Furyk one of the best ball strikers on tour over the last 10 years and I think Trackman had him closer to zero'd out than any golfer on tour.

Really not trying to stir up the pot. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. At the end of the day great for me is someone who can still when a golf tournament even when the "A" game is gone. I just think we should appreciate those golfers regardless of thier individual public persona.

... Woods is the best EVER at getting the golf ball in the hole, no matter the coach IMO.
I agree 100% with that. It amazes me how lousy this guy can hit it off the tee and his scrambling and short game saves him. I have no clue why he can't figure out the driver, the rest of his game is incredible.

The way it looks on tv, and by the way he clubs himself under the gun, he can deloft just about any iron in his bag to fit the shot he needs, even trying to squeeze a five iron from 230 into the wind. Its definitely a skill and a way for him to "get it done."

However, if he makes the same swing with a driver (or even a 3 wood at times) his dynamic loft would be close to zero and he either has to hang back and tilt or hit up on the ball excessively. Everyone has a tendency, thankfully he knows which side to miss it on.

Now, if he's playing Merion, that's a different story.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I saw him yesterday bail out right on a two sided trouble hole (lesser of the trouble), punch cut something in front of the green then chip it in.

Yet I still can't get some kids to 1. Play more rounds and 2. Work twice as hard on their short games

The way it looks on tv, and by the way he clubs himself under the gun, he can deloft just about any iron in his bag to fit the shot he needs, even trying to squeeze a five iron from 230 into the wind. Its definitely a skill and a way for him to "get it done."

However, if he makes the same swing with a driver (or even a 3 wood at times) his dynamic loft would be close to zero and he either has to hang back and tilt or hit up on the ball excessively. Everyone has a tendency, thankfully he knows which side to miss it on.

Now, if he's playing Merion, that's a different story.

He might hit the driver 2/3 times at Merion. Or not at all

Dariusz J.

Dariusz,

We have spoken before and I did miss you while you were away for a short time. With the exception of a couple of players you have comprised a list with very limited success in the span of thier respective careers. You may like the way thier swings look and appreciate thier functionality, but at the end of the day those players are not a billboard for future Hall of Famers.

Sorry

Jimmy, I was asked a question about swings I like and that produce stable tee-to-green game.

I regret the direction the game is going when one can throw the ball everywhere and still win the tournament. Before, such Hagen was an exception, today it becomes almost a norm. Hall of Famers recruit from best winners always -- and since less and less depends on ballstriking quality from the tee -- it will be soon filling up with bombers who can putt. Sad.

Well said. Indeed.

At the end of the day great for me is someone who can still when a golf tournament even when the "A" game is gone.

Since I know it will make some nervous, I will say only that it is possible today only on pampered courses.

Cheers

Dariusz,
I get your point about great ball striking but I feel you're going a little overboard with it being the holy grail. The whole point of golf is figuring out how to get the ball in the hole and hopefully it took less swings/strokes than the next guy. Tiger is probably the best at getting it done. It takes an incredible skill set to do it that way, got to have a plethora of shots, not to mention the mental fortitude. He can score on any course. Put anyone you want against him on any course and only a fool would bet against him. To disregard Tiger's ability is ridiculous. Not to mention that he's a phenomenal iron player. Keep winning Tiger! Keep the haters hating...

Status
Not open for further replies.