Tiger: Pull Trap Draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Masters preview segment on Golf Channel this evening where Tripp Isenhour suggested that Tiger will try to "pull trap draw" the ball into play on a lot of his tee shots.

He said that Tiger is in a better position to pull this shot off this year because his grip is stronger. To hit the shot, he'll need to put the ball forward in his stance and "aim farther right than he's used to."

Could someone provide some insight and explain the mechanics of how this shot works? I can see how putting the ball forward in the stance allows the golfer to start the ball to the right. However, it also seems to me putting the ball forward typically encourages a fade (path left of the face) rather than a draw.

What else needs to be done to ensure that the ballflight curves to the left rather than to the right?

think d-plane...

I'm reasonably familiar with the D-Plane.

If the golfer aims too far right, he could come underplane and hit a push rather than a pull.

If the golfer puts the ball too far forward in his stance, he could hit a fade rather than a draw.

Just hard for me to see how this methodology could consistently result in a pull-draw shot shape.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Ball on Tee
Ball more forward in stance = path going up/in

If you aim right enough and have the ball forward enough path will be going left enough to hit a pull draw. This is why you have to aim right to hit a straight ball when "hitting up" on the ball in most cases.

I can buy the pull draw from aiming right and swinging up - but there is no "trapping" as in golf terms, "trapping" would mean hitting it on the downswing.

Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator
To actually hit a pull-trap draw witha 3-wood....

Aim 1 degree right —— that's 5 yards right at 300 yards.

Swing 3 degrees left —— that's 15 yards at 300 yards.

on a 52° vertical swing plane....

Your RESULTANT PATH with be 2.34° to the right of your 3 degree left swing ——— BUT STILL ON THE PULL SIDE!!

Face of 1° - 2° closed.

Pull draw.

Deloft the club a couple of degrees more than normal.....

PULL TRAP DRAW!

Any shot description with pull AND draw in it makes me twitch.

eye_twitch.gif

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Because you're not TRYING to hit one...it's really much simpler than you think. I once converted a guy to a pull draw as his stock shot because of a back/physical issue.

Because you're not TRYING to hit one...it's really much simpler than you think. I once converted a guy to a pull draw as his stock shot because of a back/physical issue.

Where have you been all my life? I don't play too much golf anymore because everytime I do my back hurts. I've never hit a pull draw in my life. Push draws/hooks, pull fades/slices, push fades/slices, yes. Pull draws as a stock shot? Sounds like having a pet big foot, ie. fantasy. (just being cute, btw. I trust you can teach this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.