Tiger Woods swing early amateur days (SD!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Golf Channel has been running video of every event Tiger ever won. I've been watching and using my slow-mo DVR capabilites. Back when Tiger could find a fairway with his driver (but had limited distance control with irons), his swing was very Soft Draw. The position at the top of the backswing was classic Soft Draw.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
He had a lot less pop out that is for sure, definitely a soft draw move. Too bad Butch told him he was just "lucky" with that swing.

Pop Instructionists.....

The Golf Channel has been running video of every event Tiger ever won. I've been watching and using my slow-mo DVR capabilites. Back when Tiger could find a fairway with his driver (but had limited distance control with irons), his swing was very Soft Draw. The position at the top of the backswing was classic Soft Draw.

Were you watching a junior tournament, because he was with Harmon as far back as 1993. BTW back then he still couldn't hit a fairway and better than today.

Tiger was a horrible driver of the ball back in 1997. I've watched his win at Augusta many times and his distribution pattern had a two way miss going and he basically just bashed it out there with little control.

However, his putting was unbelievable and beyond fearless and the other aspects of his game were really on form and not to mention that Augusta wasn't as punishing off the tee as it is today.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
All Tiger needed....

I would have just taken that 1997 swing, weaken the grip just a little (Not as much as Haney did), and taught him why it hooked so much. In other words, he needed a little NHA in his downswing, and a bit quieter lower body.

That's it.

But...

Was I smart enough to do that in 1997?

No.

Would I have helped him more than Butch?

Maybe.

Remember, my shot at Tiger was in about 1992, and I would have maXXXed him out. ala Mike Finney.

Would that have made him better?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I do know this, I could really help him now.

That's all that matters to me.

The Past is past.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Very honest post. And spot on, IMO. I, too, now think that the 97 swing was his best, save for a little more neutral face position at the top and a NHA type downswing.

Very honest post. And spot on, IMO. I, too, now think that the 97 swing was his best, save for a little more neutral face position at the top and a NHA type downswing.

Tiger discussion is almost as pointless as Hogan argument. He could win the grand slam this year and people would say that he was lucky in one tournament because of this or that.

The major thing we know from Tiger is that you don't need to swing like Hogan to be the best ever.

brian: i'm sure you've prob. said in a post previous, but what would you do with Tiger's swing now? at least the last one everyone's seen?
thanks

I would have just taken that 1997 swing, weaken the grip just a little (Not as much as Haney did), and taught him why it hooked so much. In other words, he needed a little NHA in his downswing, and a bit quieter lower body.

That's it.
Tiger, probably under his own initiative (as opposed to Haney), made dozens of changes after his amazing 2000 season. You think most of them were unnecessary? Those changes include what seems to be a better pivot and foot action.

Status
Not open for further replies.