Time for a new driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDL

New
I have this 10 yr old GBB Warbird from Callaway, whose broken shaft I am replacing for 51 bucks. Has that much legitimately changed in driver technology in 10 years? Marketing hype? I saw one authorized retailer who has GBB IIs on sale. ANd the price of other game improvement type drivers aren't too bad. For some odd reason, I thought drivers cost 800-1000 bucks.

How much more distance , if any, should I expect from a driver that was made within the past 2 years? Or again, is that all marketing hype?

Thx

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
it will be more forgiving and it will help you gain yardage due to the .COR issue. However you have to be fit well for it. Loft, shaft, flex, are all important.

Nono not hype...well to an extent- you still can't buy a golf swing and that's the bottom line :).

BUT you'll prolly get a good 10 more yards at least. And you don't have to buy some new top of the line Taylor Made or something else worth $1 million dollars. If you're a fast swinger you'll likely gain more yards. High launch/low spin really is huge.

And as Jim said...+ the immense forgiveness you'll get....also, get fitted to MAX your launch angle/spin.

quote:Originally posted by remontjr

Definitely focus on the shaft!

Shafts rule !!!

Do yourself a favor, get fitted with a launch monitor. You will not believe what the right combo of shaft and head (angle) will do. Spend the few extra bucks- you will keep that driver in the bag a long time.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by remontjr

Definitely focus on the shaft!

Shafts shouldn't be focussed on until you pick the right head and loft for your swing.

THEN

you can "fine tune" and "tweak" by using different shafts, tipping, flexes, etc.

DDL

New
Just got a Mizuno Mp001 400cc with stock Mizuno shaft for under 100 bucks brand new. Getting an extra 20 yds on my shots. Ball flight a little erratic. Left, hook, push. When hit down the middle, I can almost get the ball to the trees, which I thought I would never do.

Status
Not open for further replies.