Timing the flip vs. Flat left wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggsjpc

New
How would a person know if they're better off timing the flip(because they have done it so long and can play scratch golf at times) or should convert to a flat left wrist?

Is it up to the person and in this case isn't there a high probability that their scores would get worse before they get better?

I have no clue on the answer, but I have always been confused as to what a good player like yourself would call a flip, unless we aren't talking about you in this instance. I'm guessing you've seen this on video a million times..so what do you see and how do you define a flip? Good thread topic.

Speaking from my experience, you'll get better immediately once you learn to have a flat left wrist and get rid of the flip.

The biggest improvements I saw where in consistency and being able to play much better in tougher conditions.

It's always up to the student what they want to do, but I really don't believe that it will get worse before it gets better...or at least I don't think it will get worse for a long time before it gets better. They'll probably have some issues with adjusting to being able to control the clubface without the flip, but the FLW makes it much easier to control the face in the end as the flip is relying on timing and a lot of hand manipulation. I think they can start shooting better scores in less than a month provided they practice. And I think there's a high probability that their scores will get better immediately than the opposite way around.

3JACK

How would a person know if they're better off timing the flip(because they have done it so long and can play scratch golf at times) or should convert to a flat left wrist?

Is it up to the person and in this case isn't there a high probability that their scores would get worse before they get better?

Over the past month I've played golf almost every day. This is the first time I've been able to do this in about 25 years. For the last couple of years I've been playing off a handicap of around 5 or 6. Over the past two weeks I've been shooting scores between 70 and 74.

What I find very interesting is that when I play this regularly I find it more tempting to flip, precisely because I can time it better.

But I also think that the flip will ALWAYS (at least for me) be revealed. The other day I came to 18 2 under, hoping to make a birdie on the par 5 last and break 70. I had 230 to the pin and took out my 1 iron hybrid. Obviously, I'd been playing very well all day, but I flipped the HELL out of it and stuck the club in the ground - one of the ugliest swings I've made in a long time. Why? Because I felt pressure, and I just don't think that a timed flip holds up as well under pressure.

And even if I'm playing well with a timed flip, I think that I immediately hit more consistent shots if I have a FLW. With a flip, I can hit weak hooks, big hooks, and big blocks. With a FLW my worst misses are usually slight pushes.

Perhaps this is merely a subjective (or even false) feel, but I do think I can FEEL better impact when I hit the ball with a FLW.

day in day out, IMO you cant time the flip to sustain a high level of play.

That is why TGM made it an imperative and thats is why Brian made an entire video about it.

Because I felt pressure, and I just don't think that a timed flip holds up as well under pressure.

I find it is very helpful in the wind and in tough lies. Yesterday it was pretty windy out and I shot 69 (-2). In the past I probably would need to play pretty well to just shoot 75 in that type of wind because I couldn't keep the ball down and the wind would knock it wayward, cause an early double bogey and hurt my confidence.

If my ball lands in a divot, I'm no longer fretting over the shot. Easy shot? No, but something I can hit and get on the green usually provided I have some room in front of the green (ball is likely to go low out of the divot).

3JACK

ggsjpc

New
Speaking from my experience, you'll get better immediately once you learn to have a flat left wrist and get rid of the flip.

The biggest improvements I saw where in consistency and being able to play much better in tougher conditions.

It's always up to the student what they want to do, but I really don't believe that it will get worse before it gets better...or at least I don't think it will get worse for a long time before it gets better. They'll probably have some issues with adjusting to being able to control the clubface without the flip, but the FLW makes it much easier to control the face in the end as the flip is relying on timing and a lot of hand manipulation. I think they can start shooting better scores in less than a month provided they practice. And I think there's a high probability that their scores will get better immediately than the opposite way around.

3JACK

When you switched over, did you miss with pull hooks or something else?

I've seen video of this player and you would have a hard time believing he can shoot par or better. He plays with a ball position so far back it is hard to describe. He hits it remarkably solid, low and accurate with short irons. Driver gets him in trouble and scores vary from day to day. We've discussed switching him over and have started down a road toward FLW which is working well but I keep second guessing myself.

I know it's best for him. I'm just curious how others decide whether to change or not. Brian has always mentioned that if it works for you, keep doing it. His flip works but not consistently and seemingly less consistent in tournaments.

Moving a ball position from behind the right foot to left of center breeds a ton of left into his head. Understandably for sure with how fast he closes the face when he flips it.

I'll throw my no sense in here. I think if anyone wants to play tournament golf nowadays you have to be able to hit the ball up in the air and far with the driver. It is just the nature of the beast I think and I wonder if tournament officials will ever bring in the reigns. Why does he flip it? Does he stop his pivot? How do you fix it?

Last edited:
I'll throw my no sense in here. I think if anyone wants to play tournament golf nowadays you have to be able to hit the ball up in the air and far with the driver. It is just the nature of the beast I think and I wonder if tournament officials will ever bring in the reigns. Why does he flip it? Does he stop his pivot? How do you fix it?

tournament officials bring in what reigns? and who is he?

ggsjpc

New

Try to imagine a swing with almost no wrist hinge and all pivot. He gets the club and his left arm straight before hip high on the way down. It's really something to see.

Most people I see that do this can barely strike the ball.

Try to imagine a swing with almost no wrist hinge and all pivot. He gets the club and his left arm straight before hip high on the way down. It's really something to see.

Most people I see that do this can barely strike the ball.

Crazy. I see why you're reluctant...man if you get him to start swinging the clubhead that will really mess with him I bet. Geez. Good luck man, I hope it works out.

Do you read the threads? Length of courses, thus the need to hit it far and the flipper(student of OP).

ok, but nowhere in the OP does it give an idea about a student. The OP was in general speak, and when you used the "HE" I re-read the entire thread to see WHO (he) we were talking about.

that is why I ask, I thought I missed something. But we are talking about flippers in general, or so it seems by the OP of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.