Toe Hooks with NSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to go back to NSA after getting tired of my fade turning into a push slice this summer. The fade is gone but I've started hitting a lot of shots way out on the toe with every club in the bag. What are some possible reasons for this? I'm not playing very often right now becasue I'm in the middle of football season. That could be part of the problem but hitting off the toe is very uncommon for me. At least it used to be unusual for me:)

I hit this problem for about 2 weeks this summer. Basically I can only speak for myself but the problem was very solvable once I knew what it was.

I wasn't releasing the club properly. Coming down inside, to inside = toe hit. With a closed face, toe hit/hook. Make sure your swinging a little more out to right field (for a right hander) and not abbreviating your finish to the inside too quickly.

I hope this works for you, but I had the same issue and this cured it instantly, once I knew to employ a proper finish through the ball.

I hit this problem for about 2 weeks this summer. Basically I can only speak for myself but the problem was very solvable once I knew what it was.

I wasn't releasing the club properly. Coming down inside, to inside = toe hit. With a closed face, toe hit/hook. Make sure your swinging a little more out to right field (for a right hander) and not abbreviating your finish to the inside too quickly.

did you mean out to in? i.e., why swing more to rightfield if you are coming too much from the inside?
btw, i think toe hits hook because of gear effect, not a closed face.

Sorry I can only explain how I fixed mine.....

I said in to out, and meant... 'in to out'. In to in causes an abbreviated follow through.

Coming too much from the inside wasn't entirely my problem. I can come too much from the inside, and still hit the center of the face and 'draw' the ball. Coming inside, and ending too inside is not allowing the club head to travel on the proper path -long enough-.

I cured this by exaggeration. Swinging in to out. I can still come inside too much, and the result is a push. But in to in, is a very different result... a toe hit in my case.

In my case I would even chicken wing just a tad. So the club never truly releases properly. By thinking 'swing to right field' you have to trust the path and let it release.

Sorry I can only explain how I fixed mine.....

I said in to out, and meant... 'in to out'. In to in causes an abbreviated follow through.

Coming too much from the inside wasn't entirely my problem. I can come too much from the inside, and still hit the center of the face and 'draw' the ball. Coming inside, and ending too inside is not allowing the club head to travel on the proper path -long enough-.

I cured this by exaggeration. Swinging in to out. I can still come inside too much, and the result is a push. But in to in, is a very different result... a toe hit in my case.

In my case I would even chicken wing just a tad. So the club never truly releases properly. By thinking 'swing to right field' you have to trust the path and let it release.

sorry man, your just plain wrong.

swinging inside-to-inside is a whole lot better than swinging "out to right field".

your SUPPOSED to swing inside-to-inside, ,maybe even slightly more to the left taking the D-plane into account.

and to add, swinging left is a much more common cause for toe shots than swinging to the right

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Everyone can choose their own plane.....there is no 'correct path', only the 'correct path' for the shot you want to play.

If you toe hit it coming from underplane, you are too far from the ball end of story.

--------

Original Poster

There are numerous causes but if they showed up suddenly, i would say you are coming in slightly above plane and are pushing your plane line slightly out/in and catching it on the toe

Brian Manzella

Administrator
hmmm...

...once I knew to employ a proper finish through the ball.

Any where did you learn this "proper" technique?

Colin, no offense, but the REASON he is hitting the toe is the face is closed too much.

If he swings "out to right field" it will only get worse.

Coach,

The solution is only employing the "twist" you now need, which may be ZERO at this point.

I am truly sorry to mid-advise anyone on this forum. I will not give any advice in the future here, and no offense is taken.

I can with 100% certainty say that I was hitting toe shots with irons. I can with 100% certainty say that we caught the action I was doing that resulted in this. I was not coming through the ball, properly extending my left arm.

My left arm would pull back, not allowing full extension through the ball (some people call this chicken winging I believe).

Once I concentrated on releasing the club through impact, the problem instantly disappeared. My left upper arm would stay (for lack of a better term) more connected to my upper body, rather than take an abrupt 'yanking' motion.

Again my apologies to the original poster and anyone else who may have felt I was giving 'bad' advice. No harm was intended in the advice. Sometimes I see people come here with a question and it just sits.... and sits. I feel for the person and if I believe I have the answer, I try to help. It is curious to me that the 'wrong' answer solicits a more vigorous response than the original post does... I notice that a lot, but I assume it is the nature of things.

Again, I will be more reserved in posting advice; the last thing I want to do is steer anyone the wrong way. It's hard enough to fix yourself without getting the wrong advice.

I am truly sorry to mid-advise anyone on this forum. I will not give any advice in the future here, and no offense is taken.

I can with 100% certainty say that I was hitting toe shots with irons. I can with 100% certainty say that we caught the action I was doing that resulted in this. I was not coming through the ball, properly extending my left arm.

My left arm would pull back, not allowing full extension through the ball (some people call this chicken winging I believe).

Once I concentrated on releasing the club through impact, the problem instantly disappeared. My left upper arm would stay (for lack of a better term) more connected to my upper body, rather than take an abrupt 'yanking' motion.

Again my apologies to the original poster and anyone else who may have felt I was giving 'bad' advice. No harm was intended in the advice. Sometimes I see people come here with a question and it just sits.... and sits. I feel for the person and if I believe I have the answer, I try to help. It is curious to me that the 'wrong' answer solicits a more vigorous response than the original post does... I notice that a lot, but I assume it is the nature of things.

Again, I will be more reserved in posting advice; the last thing I want to do is steer anyone the wrong way. It's hard enough to fix yourself without getting the wrong advice.

please do not think i was trying to undermine you. everyone makes mistakes. no hard feelings. and by no means stop posting. everyones input is welcome, and even if you are wrong, people can learn from it.

i personally try to put forward what i believe to be correct. if someone convinces me otherwise, great. we all know better.

at least now you know mine and brians thought on the subject, and we all know yours. now we can all learn from the experience.

that is what a forum is for

Any where did you learn this "proper" technique?

Colin, no offense, but the REASON he is hitting the toe is the face is closed too much.

If he swings "out to right field" it will only get worse.

Coach,

The solution is only employing the "twist" you now need, which may be ZERO at this point.

I "feel" like I have stopped twisting but I might still be doing it. NSA is an amazing product by the way.

Aslo, I'm not lagging the clubhead on the take away. In an attempt to shorten my swing up I started setting my right wrist as early as possible. Could that be part of the problem too?

Status
Not open for further replies.