Toe shots - low hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like when I used to hook the ball the shots were closer to the heel of the club. Now I'm hitting really low hooks and contact is more towards the toe. Really don't feel like I'm excessively inside out or outside in because I laid a 2x4 outside of the ball and am not hitting it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Which clubs?

I'm a habitual towards the toe hitter. The wear spots on my clubs are evidence of that. My toe hits are a hand path issue IMO. Too verticle too soon, I really have to work on getting the hand path out as far as will go sooner on the downswing. Vertical too soon and having to back it up late = toe hits for me. I hope that makes sense.

Here's what I did and maybe that will help. I was sh***ing the ball REALLY bad so I pulled out my casio and took a video directly above the ball. I was surprised to see that my face was pretty much square but my clubhead was just getting away from me and hitting the hosel. So I grabbed a 2x4 and put the ball alongside the ball and practiced swinging. Now I have zero "s words" but just hitting more towards the toe and they are going low and to the left.

To answer your question, mostly my irons. With the driver I'm trying to swing just slightly inside and those are going pretty good right now but those were also going low and left. Played yesterday and never missed a shot to the right which I guess is something positive.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Here's what I did and maybe that will help. I was sh***ing the ball REALLY bad so I pulled out my casio and took a video directly above the ball. I was surprised to see that my face was pretty much square but my clubhead was just getting away from me and hitting the hosel. So I grabbed a 2x4 and put the ball alongside the ball and practiced swinging. Now I have zero "s words" but just hitting more towards the toe and they are going low and to the left.

To answer your question, mostly my irons. With the driver I'm trying to swing just slightly inside and those are going pretty good right now but those were also going low and left. Played yesterday and never missed a shot to the right which I guess is something positive.

Vaguely remembering our lesson together and what you post above (including the 2 x 4) it just sounds like you're path is a bit too left and/or you are losing axis tilt THROUGH impact. You lose spine angle and the clubhead moves left quickly/late and you hit the toe and you'll hook it.

Have to learn how to keep the tilt without swinging too far right...generally i find when someone who swings too in/out over tilts and then when they correct it they tend to under tilt and path moves too left.

Thanks Jim, I'll take a look.

PS What do you think about putting the 2x4 on the inside of the ball and a 2x4 or box on the outside of the ball? Decent way to zero out your path?

Really doesn't seem like I'm steep which is weird. Not taking much of a divot really. Took some video at ground height and seems like I come in pretty shallow it's just that my dang club is too close to me and I hit way out on the toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.