Toed in left foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
After experimenting with many foot positions, I have found that I hit the ball more solidly when I toe in my left foot. Perhaps it prevents my left hip from opening too soon? Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Jimmydean

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
No matter what it makes you do i think it's a disaster for the left knee, just sayn'. I'm no PT but it's just a hunch i know that when i started flaring OUT my left foot for all shots i had a whole lot less pressure on that knee.

No matter what it makes you do i think it's a disaster for the left knee, just sayn'. I'm no PT but it's just a hunch i know that when i started flaring OUT my left foot for all shots i had a whole lot less pressure on that knee.

I couldn't agree more that's why I didn't mention the through swing side.

I think the trick is experimenting to see how much flare you need
that allows you to make enough of a move to the right and then enough to the left.

Matt

Gentlemen,

if you all take out your copies of Secrets of Power Golf, by Chi Chi Rodriguez, you'll find the toed in left foot was a foundation of his swing.

On video he falls back away from his left side in the follow through, but the photos in the book don't show this.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Again, i am not saying toeing it in won't work. Hell i remember reading about how Hank Keaney did it to slow his hips down to manage his speed better.

I'm just saying, is it going to do long term damage to your knee? i would wager yes; i'll see if i can get a few PT friends i know to chime in.

I tried it myself, but the pressure on my left knee was scary. Maybe that's why Chi Chi had to fall back to the right, to avoid shredding his knee.

Thanks guys for the info. Is there anything I can do short of the toed in foot to slow down the hips and achieve the same results. Thanks. I don't need knee problems!
Jimmy

dbl

New
Try toeing out the right foot. It should make spinning out in the downswing a bit harder and force one to shift (leftward in the downswing). That was a prescription given me by Bill McKinney. The left can be toed out some if desired. So I'd say my left is toed out 15 degrees and right 35-40.

Thanks guys for the info. Is there anything I can do short of the toed in foot to slow down the hips and achieve the same results. Thanks. I don't need knee problems!
Jimmy

If you are firmly into your left foot, it's hard to spin out.

Most spin outs either have too much weight sill on the right side when the hips start to clear out of the way....

...Or the hips are really sliding and not turning.

dbl

New
It may be a temporary "fixup" technique, but does not seem to be bad in the long run. Take it down to 15-25 degrees or whatever once the fix is "in."

What it does is change the right knee's action because you can't drive the kneecap target ward, which a spinner is wont to do.

It may be a temporary "fixup" technique, but does not seem to be bad in the long run. Take it down to 15-25 degrees or whatever once the fix is "in."

What it does is change the right knee's action because you can't drive the kneecap target ward, which a spinner is wont to do.

Ahh, I see now. McKinney is big on the "sit-down", too. Does this help with that?

On the original topic, having the left foot toed out will take a lot of stress off the left knee with the coupled motion of twisting and straightening. It allows for more hip rotation.

dbl

New
I haven't talked with Bill about sit down, so can't say. But I could probably use some.

Today I played, and a 4 HC playing partner I know told me of a malady he had of the right knee breaking targetward too soon (causing a bad sequence of events) so I showed him the right toe out business, but he had a super flexible knee and toeing out did not work for him. So as always ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.