Tom Watson '77 Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Finally was able to watch the Masters special about the 1977 tournament. Wow. Tom Watson's swing looks unbelievable. Granted, I was negative 6 years old at the time and have not seen many old school Watson swing sequences. I'm not sure that a swing sequence could do his pivot justice. Quite possibly the most fluid pivot I've ever seen.

Last edited:
How about this:

This is part 1 of 8 of the 1977 "Duel in the Sun" British Open. Jack and Tom both at their near-primes. Probably the greatest head-to-head match up of all time. Jack and Tom ran away from the field; 3rd place was a good 7 shots back I think. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Bump.

How is this not being discussed? Is this footage just old hat for everyone?

Remember that between these two guys, there are 8 British Opens. And both won with swings that don't have "flat-left-wrist-held-into-the-follow-through-with-the-club-up-the-left-arm." Both had release types that allegedly produce erratic ballflight, high balls, and poor performance off tight lies. Perfect for high winds, penal rough, and baked fairways :D.

Is this the Tom Watson Lessons of a Lifetime show on the GC?

No, a separate video, although maybe they showed parts of it last night?

I watched a little of the GC show last night. There were some interesting tidbits. Watson was talking about driving over from Stanford to play Pebble Beach on Saturday mornings and that the starter would let him go off first as a single. He said he never broke 75 there as an amateur but would always play the last 4 holes imagining he had to shoot even par to beat Nicklaus.

third place was 10 BACK! -11,-10 and even par as I recall! thats when Hubert Green came into the press tents and said: "I just want you guys to know I won this tournament! I don't know what those guys are playing!" One of the few times Jack missed a critical late putt; about a 3-footer on 71st hole!

Had to keep this going...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PO5OwCI_1n4" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Starting re-watching all 8 youtube series, check out the 4:01 minute mark. Special effects care of mother nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.