Tom Watson Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled across this video while cleaning my files out on my computer. Brings back some memories.

So what is it that Watson does so well at his age that others aren't able to do? What are the good parts of his swing and what are some things that can change for the better?

Just curious what you guys think.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdHzT_zuU7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdHzT_zuU7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Is it me or was that widescreen HD compressed down to standard....it just makes it look like a really steep swing?

westy

New
One of the greatest swings of all time.
Dont even contemplate messing with it.
Jones
Hogan
Tiger
Stewart
Arnie
Price
Watson
Fred.
Mickey.
Vijay
Moe
Jack.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
One of the greatest swings of all time.
Dont even contemplate messing with it.
Jones
Hogan
Tiger
Stewart
Arnie
Price
Watson
Fred.
Mickey.
Vijay
Moe
Jack.

No Snead? I know this is just your opinion, but Snead's action was pretty good. There are a lot of swings I feel were as good that were left off

Snead....Littler....Lema....O'Grady....Love III....Nelson....Souchak....Elkington....Boros....

All but O'Grady are major winners IIRC..

Watson finished in the top ten in the Dubai tournament last week. His game is amazing for a sixty year old guy. Swing wise, looks like soft draw backswing with nha downswing.

Can you say Ryder cup. I believe the last time I looked he was number 16 on the points list, even if he didn't make the team I think I would make him a captains pick. Wouldn't that be something to see Tom Watson playing another Ryder cup!

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tom Watson's swing.

One of the best ever, and still working.

I wonder if any of these no shift, flat backswing, check finish swings will hold up as long?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jim Thorpe

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J91acJP66C0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J91acJP66C0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nothing no shift about it.

Watson's swing reflects not only talent but a lot of hard work. His swing has always been subject to changes based on age, equipment... Watson has worked with instructors, Leadbetter in the late 1980's, most notably Byron Nelson in the mid-1970's, but he really has known what to keep and what to get rid of. His ball striking has gotten better as he has gotten older, amazing swing. But he has never changed the overall blueprint, nor has Nicklaus. All those theories of one plane, flat backswings... never can explain Watson.

He is remarkable - I am surprised that he can compete against the PGA guys without being able to hit it 300+ yards. He has not been considered a great putter for many years now.
To bad Perry came up short at the Masters and Watson at the Open Champ.

dbl

New
Watson has said more than once that in the mid 90's, I think before he won the 98 Colonial, he discovered something swing-related, and that ever since "it's been easy"..to swing. So in any swing analysis, I would make a demarkation between miid90's and before. Well of course, he might be using "the same swing" just with more knowledge of a key which makes him more consistent.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
He is remarkable - I am surprised that he can compete against the PGA guys without being able to hit it 300+ yards. He has not been considered a great putter for many years now.
To bad Perry came up short at the Masters and Watson at the Open Champ.

He's averaging 290 this year! Plenty long enough, still flies it past the Brian Gays', Corey Pavins' and Paul Goydoss' of the world.

Heck yes. Stood about 15 feet behind him last spring as he went through his bag.

Medium-high ballflight, almost all tight, penetrating draws. On a friggin rope. Little or no divot.

TV just doesn't pick up the impressive ball flight some of these guys have.

Watson has said more than once that in the mid 90's, I think before he won the 98 Colonial, he discovered something swing-related, and that ever since "it's been easy"..to swing. So in any swing analysis, I would make a demarkation between miid90's and before. Well of course, he might be using "the same swing" just with more knowledge of a key which makes him more consistent.

He reduced the underplane downswing which at times would result in pushes or hooks. He says he feels over the top in his swing. Essentially he added carry and yellow brick road to his swing.

For a guy without a huge amount of axis tilt he gets great swivel and extension in his arms. The left shoulder gently "takes off" from his head.

Beautiful, effortless swing.

He's averaging 290 this year! Plenty long enough, still flies it past the Brian Gays', Corey Pavins' and Paul Goydoss' of the world.

Watson averaged 258 yds in Dubai two weeks ago good for 62nd in Driving Distance.
Look at Couples and Pavin and compare to their 2009 PGA tour stats.
The Senior tour stats appear to be considerably overstated compared to the PGA tour.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I wondered how Pavin picked up 10 yards just by moving to the Champions Tour. Nobody was long in Dubai, wind was eating everybody up. Still middle of the pack.

I saw him at the 2006 Open and he was playing with Goosen and his drives weren't much shorter than Goosen's so hes still pretty long and is very accurate with the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.