Toms at the Doral

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDL

New
One of the commentators stated that Toms was hooking and missing fairways because he was flipping with his hands. Any truth to this? Doesn't explain why his irons were so solid yesterday to get him within one stroke of the lead. Maybe he just had an off day driving the ball. Another case of overanalysis by the tv commentators?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Brian always told me david's problem is swinging too far to the right (bending the plane line). Combine that with a semi-closed face and a full roll and its fore left.

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

Brian always told me david's problem is swinging too far to the right (bending the plane line). Combine that with a semi-closed face and a full roll and its fore left.

Hi Jim,
why is swing too far to the right called "bending the plane line"?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Ideally, you always want either the sweet spot of the club or the butt end of the club always pointing at the plane line unless it's parallel to it. Obviously a lot of pro's don't "trace a very straight plane line" throughout the ENTIRE SWING but, THROUGH IMPACT (hip high to hip high), they suuuuure do.

So if you are tracing that line to the left or the right of "straight" you are bending it.

Make sense?

I don't see how Tom's flips it. He seems to have more swivel than anyone on tour. I jut love his motion thru the ball.

Jim,

I think "bending the line" is wrong terminology. If you bend a line it becomes a curve. I think what you meant is he is deviating from target line to another line pointing to the right. Is it?

Isn't it called "Roatating the PL?"

I've heard both terms actually....right now in my head, Rotating makes more sense....to me.

If I'm wrong enligten me....been wondering about this.

EdZ

New
rotating the plane line = intentionally tracing a plane line other than one parallel to your target line

bending the plane line = 'trying' to trace a given plane line, but failing to do so and 'breaking' or 'bending' that line

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Ed....

Homer called it bending because you are ideally trying to trace a straight line and if you deviate from that you are bending it.

Look at it this way, you are going to hammer in a nail. The nail is straight right? If you apply force correctly the nail will go into whatever you are "nailing" straight and correctly.

Approve force incorrectly and what happens? The nail bends and you have to get a new nail ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.