Too Much Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I focus on the carry and swinging left, I end up carrying too much, busting the wall on the downswing before I hit the ball, that is, too outside-in, and come at the ball too steeply. Can someone suggest a swing-thought, or drill, or something to help me correct this? Thanks for any help you can give!

When I focus on the carry and swinging left, I end up carrying too much, busting the wall on the downswing before I hit the ball, that is, too outside-in, and come at the ball too steeply. Can someone suggest a swing-thought, or drill, or something to help me correct this? Thanks for any help you can give!

Maybe let the club drop a little before you go left.

Definitely post a video and see what the pros have to say.

Perhaps start with ball postion. I have had an issue or two with this. Then it occured to me that my ball was positioned too far back in relation to my new swing direction. I have a pronounced hand loop in transition to reroute it to the inside. Changing my ball postion to be properly oriented with the swing direction eliminated it. I guess in order to get to the back ball position I had to loop it to the inside to make solid contact.

I want to say thanks to those who replied earlier. Unfortunately, I don't have the technology for a video right now. I am working on it. However, I will think about backswing and about ball position to see if I can straighten myself out.

For those who use NHA, should the feel of the drop or "shaking the sugar" be straight down on the downswing, or should it be a little outside in?

Last edited:
For someone who was never a hooker with my irons, but likes to try NHA from time to time, I personally feel that it is easy to overdo the carry. If you weren't severely underplane before, feeling like you need a bunch of carry may likely result in what would be severe enough to be called OTT.

I think it's important to realize that if you already take the club up outside the line, it shouldn't take much more than feeling like you're "dropping it back down that same line" to get the slighly outside in path. It is definitely a feel v. real thing, but if you "over carry" from an already outside the line backswing, you will have a lot of dropping to do at the last minute to get to the ball at all, which will probably result in some weird shots.

For me, a former laid off OTT'er, I don't have to feel that much carry at all to hit a baby fade, from the NHA backswing. It's really easy for me to overdo it. Just my .02

Last edited:
Not everyone needs to add carry to their swing, right?

Plenty of people need it, but there are golfers who don't need it and some golfers already swing too far left and for whom adding carry would be a bad thing (me, for instance, when i learned two summers ago at Lake Presidential that I was swinging too far left).

I wouldn't work on adding carry unless I had an indication it was needed....

Thanks again for your help. Yesterday, I adjusted ball position a little and it seems to help a lot. My current analysis is this: I had the ball too far forward, and I had to have a lot of carry to get the club on the ball. When I moved the ball back a little, I was able to reduce the amount of carry and I was hitting the ball much more solidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.