Top 10 all timers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean when they played their best golf? I've always thought that's why Johnny is so arrogant in the booth. He believes he played golf better than anyone that ever played, if only for a brief period. He might not be wrong.
It is not a one week tournament....Tiger would win and Johnny Miller would finish second.

Its a career.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have said this before, so what's one more time....

I saw Nelson at 60, Snead at 70 and didn't see Hogan.

I saw everyone else on any list hit balls live.

Johnny Miller is the best I ever saw.

I have him 9th:
1. Nicklaus
2. Woods
3. Hogan
4. Snead
5. Nelson
6. Palmer
7. Watson
8. Player
9. Mickelson
10. Trevino

What, no Moe Norman or Mike Austin? 1. Nicklaus 2. Woods 3. Hogan 4. Player 5. Nelson 6. Snead 7. Palmer 8. Trevino 9. Jones 10. Watson. Player moves ahead of Nelson and Snead in my opinion as he won all of the grand slam events, plus won majors in more decades than anyone else.

Really surprised that Bobby Jones is getting virtually no love on top 10 lists.

Here's my list:

Nicklaus
Woods
Jones
Hagen
Hogan
Player
Watson
Sarazen
Palmer
Snead
Vardon

If this list looks familiar, it's because greatness in golf is measured not in career length, or ballstriking ability, or any other "eyeball" test, but in majors won. Simple as that.

And Phil will crack this list.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
1. Nicklaus
2. Woods
3. Jones
4. Palmer
5. Hagan
6. Watson
7. Hogan
8. Snead
9. Player
10. Mickelson

Nelson isn't in there because he simply didn't play long enough. It was hard not putting Harry Vardon on the list.

Erik_K

New
How many of these players have won 3 out of 4 majors and finished in the U.S.open second place 5 or 6 times(I forgot) . I do agree with your list but Phil must be considered.

Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan, Snead, Watson, Jones, Player, Nelson, and Trevino all won 3 of 4.

Only Faldo didn't win three of four majors, but he did net 6 majors (3 masters and 3 british open titles). The 'problem' is that golf has been played a long, long time and the list of great players is lengthy. Had Phil turned one of his second place US open finishes into a win I'd think he would have cracked more top 10 lists for sure. He's still awesome and I think he can play at a very high level for a few more years. He certainly could win another major or two before it's all said and done.

Everyone acknowledges Phil's brilliance. That final round was just spectacular. Maybe that was the greatest round of golf I've witnessed (I am 34). Especially the last 4 or 5 holes. You couldn't root against him during that stretch.

I doubt that Phil's final round is one of the 5 best of all-time. People have real short memories, and tremendous bias towards recent events when it comes to these types of list. Does the best round have to be the final round of a Major? Can it be the second round at the Rolaids Open? How about Tommy Gainey's round last year at McGladrey.

I have said this before, so what's one more time....

I saw Nelson at 60, Snead at 70 and didn't see Hogan.

I saw everyone else on any list hit balls live.

Johnny Miller is the best I ever saw.

I watched Miller hit when he was in his 50's and he striped it.

Played with Weiskopf not too long ago and he striped it.

Played with Miller Barber about 6 years ago and he didn't hit it long but he had zero side spin. RIP

Watched Trevino in his 60's and was super pure.

Also surprised I don't see Jones on more lists, and I wonder why Player is so underrated.

Last edited:

Burner

New
Everyone acknowledges Phil's brilliance. That final round was just spectacular. Maybe that was the greatest round of golf I've witnessed (I am 34). Especially the last 4 or 5 holes. You couldn't root against him during that stretch.

Yup, it was so brilliant it was just 1 shot better than Ian Poulter.

Status
Not open for further replies.