Top 10 all timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner

New
Yea but

Which is why Mickelson's round has to be viewed differently, right? Not trying to be a douche but one shot better than Poulter and Dufner is, IMO, much more than one shot considering their starting positions. Dufner especially, he was so far back that he could truly just freewheel it and go for broke with almost no pressure.

Isn't that just what Phil did? No one moves through the field like he did on Sunday by playing conservative golf; he played shit or bust right through to the finish.

He was 3 shots up on Poulter, 10 on Dufner, at the start of this much vaunted final round which gained him a further 1 shot advantage on both.

Whichever way you dress up Phil's final round, and I like the guy also, it was just 1 shot better than Dufner's and Poulter's.

Last edited:
Poulter and Dunfer made their hay on the first 12 holes. Phil made his on the final 6.

The world loves closers. And Phil closed like a freight train.

Coffee's for Closers!

ScreenShot2013-07-28at92837AM_zps2b948f1d.png

Burner

New
Poulter and Dunfer made their hay on the first 12 holes. Phil made his on the final 6.

The world loves closers. And Phil closed like a freight train.

"Closure", really or did he truly just freewheel it and go for broke with almost no pressure, as faux-maestro said in favour of Phil earlier.

Birdies on four of the last six holes is more indicative, I think, of going for broke with almost no pressure, wouldn't you say.
Of course not, how silly of me!

However, the boy done good, albeit only one shot better than P & D on the last round and I am happy for him. Seems he needs to make all the cash he can when California also taxes his foreign earnings.

The United Kingdom tax rate rises to a 40% on income above £32,010 then 45% when it reaches £150,000. Mickelson will pay £636,069 ($954,000, or 44.02%) on his Scottish earnings.

For virtuoso's benefit, that leaves a 16.98% rake off for California.

Miller's 63 was only 2 better than Wadkins and Jack's 65 was only 2 better than Jay Haas. Shall we discredit all past great rounds? Or should we call it what it was.

If it looks like a duck........

1. Hogan
2. Seve
3. Nicklaus
4. Woods
5. Mickelson
6. Jones
7. G. Norman
8. Snead
9. Watson
10. Nelson
I'd pay a lot to see Norman or Watson or Duval win another major.

Seve Ahead of Nicklaus and Woods and no Gary Player??? What are you judging them on? Charisma?, looks?
1. Hogan
2. Seve
3. Nicklaus
4. Woods
5. Mickelson
6. Jones
7. G. Norman
8. Snead
9. Watson
10. Nelson
I'd pay a lot to see Norman or Watson or Duval win another major.

Erik_K

New
Miller's 63 was only 2 better than Wadkins and Jack's 65 was only 2 better than Jay Haas. Shall we discredit all past great rounds? Or should we call it what it was.

That's basically what I said a few pages back. Butch Harmon said that Norman's 64 was one of the finest rounds he's ever seen. This was back in 1993 and Paul Lawrie shot a 65. I want to say that he now views Mickelson's win with similar reverence.

Like I said before, these leaderboards are normally super crowded. You'd think a 64 would be akin to setting the course on fire, but Lawrie has a similar round with a 65 (he ended up tied for 6th),

2 shots is a lot when you get in the mid 60's. It's not like when you shoot 93 to your buddies 95. Miller was 5 shots better than the 3rd best round in his 63, and only 4 players broke 70. That means he beat everybody except one player by at least 5 shots. This is a much better round than Mickelsons.

I never claimed that Phil's round was better than Miller's or Jack's or Player's.

I'm simply saying that given the context, it was an all time great round.

Todays round by Tiger (with 4 holes to go) is likely to be 5-6-7 shots better than the next best round. I think it would have to be considered one of the great rounds of all-time. This is a WGC event, on a great golf course and everybody is playing.

Burner

New
Todays round by Tiger (with 4 holes to go) is likely to be 5-6-7 shots better than the next best round. I think it would have to be considered one of the great rounds of all-time. This is a WGC event, on a great golf course and everybody is playing.

Whose playing is immaterial; its Tiger versus the course and he has torn the cover off the moffo.

Status
Not open for further replies.