tour pitch rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlam

New
Does anyone know what rpm one has on the ball on the tour pitch?
You know that hard low pitch shot that hops once or twice then checks with backspin.
How much rpm backspin needed for the check?

The other question is how close/far away from the hole is it reasonable to attempt this shot given a ordinary lie on the fairway with flat soft green. 15 yards? 20 yards? 30 yards? 45 yards? 60 yards?
I think it one is too close to the green then a higher lob type pitch shot or another rolling type chip would be the choice.

Last edited:

dlam

New
Did some research...thought I will share with you.

The tour pitch.........................punching low spinning shot that hops once or twice then stops on a dime.
Master at the tour pitch............Lee Trevino
Choice lie...............................tight lie on spongy fairway
Ideal distance from the pin........40-80 yards
Spin rates...............................backspin rates of 7500 rpm or higher.

also soft cover on the ball and clean deep grooves on the wedge promote the tour pitch

Last edited:
I executed a perfect tour pitch last time I played.

Simply an accident. When it left the face, I thought thin, too hard, over the green.
It hit and checked once 3 feet from pin.

I don't have the time, the talent, or the turf to practice that shot. I would say it's
a low percentage shot unless you have mastered it like the pro's.

Agreed, I was just referring to what original poster called it.
I think McLean called it the "Burning Wedge" on his Golf Channel
segment on Lee Trevino.

Right. The low, spinning wedge is fairly easy. The tour pitch is trickier. Hard to describe in words. Would make the "left wrist must be flat after impact" crowd uneasy.

These shots are struck softly but solidly with a shallow angle of attack. If you really want to see it happen, try a 64 degree wedge...AND try letting go with your right hand at impact and you'll see that thing sizzle on decent greens.
Catch up on parametric acceleration, too, and you'll pitch better than you ever have in your life.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I executed a perfect tour pitch last time I played.

Simply an accident. When it left the face, I thought thin, too hard, over the green.
It hit and checked once 3 feet from pin.

I don't have the time, the talent, or the turf to practice that shot. I would say it's
a low percentage shot unless you have mastered it like the pro's.

exactly

it's pretty much an intentional thin shot; learn to hit it higher. It's much more reliable, predicable and accurate to stop the ball with height than with backspin

S

SteveT

exactly

it's pretty much an intentional thin shot; learn to hit it higher. It's much more reliable, predicable and accurate to stop the ball with height than with backspin

Hey ... that's what I said I did with my short irons ... I only "nip" the ball with my steeper swing not taking any divot, only brushing the grass under and ahead of the ball.

This creates a very high trajectory, but when the ball hits the green, it loses it's energy fast, bounces a couple of times and stop very close to where it first landed. I always aim for the pin because I have my distances under control from 150 yards in.

If I have to lower my pitching trajectory because of wind, I will just use a longer club and shorten my backswing, relax into the downswing and just try to play a sort of pitch'n run shot to a safe part of the green.

I have mastered my short game, but I will never raise my long game to the same level of proficiency. Not enough time ....:eek:

Trevino was the best I ever saw at it. I played with him once and every wedge looked like he skulled it. Uncanny.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Hey ... that's what I said I did with my short irons ... I only "nip" the ball with my steeper swing not taking any divot, only brushing the grass under and ahead of the ball.

This creates a very high trajectory, but when the ball hits the green, it loses it's energy fast, bounces a couple of times and stop very close to where it first landed. I always aim for the pin because I have my distances under control from 150 yards in.

If I have to lower my pitching trajectory because of wind, I will just use a longer club and shorten my backswing, relax into the downswing and just try to play a sort of pitch'n run shot to a safe part of the green.

I have mastered my short game, but I will never raise my long game to the same level of proficiency. Not enough time ....:eek:

SteveT, how would you recommend a fat guy hit his pitches?

Status
Not open for further replies.