tour tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the opportunity to attend a "Tour tempo" distance school. I read the book back when it came out but never really new how to apply the principles. I think it will be fun and maybe I can even gain a few precious yard .
has anyone had experience with this?
Ric

I like the material. I have helped a lot of people SPEEDING up people's backswings. Tons of ams are soooooo slow going back they herk and jerk on the way down.

I like the material. I have helped a lot of people SPEEDING up people's backswings. Tons of ams are soooooo slow going back they herk and jerk on the way down.

I used to be an am like that. I was thinking during the whole backswing. Using TT helped me to stop thinking so much, and focusing more on the way the overall swing feels; it changed my approach to learning the swing. Really helped me in that it opened me up to being able to apply new info more quickly. I think that I'm a much better student now than before.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I like TT as well. Especially during the process of taking new techniques and translating them from mechanical thoughts to simple reactions.

I am really looking forward to it. learning something completely unrelated to mechanics seems pretty cool.

If they're still doing the same thing with the swing-set-through audio, be careful with it. I've heard of golfers developing a backswing hitch as a result of that 3-beat sound sequence.

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on. I hope that it is not going to fall foul of the new forum rules if you post a review, positive or negative, of someone else's teaching.

I don't think this has any conflict with Bmanz teaching. I am one of his students and I am proud to be. I think this is a science based method to improve swing speed but not at all about the mechanics of the golf swing.
I am always looking to learn new information and as long as I have known Brian he has encouraged seeking out information.
I think the new rules are unfortunately needed because the amount of people coming to the site to throw hay makers and take sneak attack pot shots has gotten out of control.
I look forward to seeing what people are discussing here every day and I for one hated when the silly sniping started to ruin the learning experience.
Ric

Ric - as it happens, I agree with about all that you say. I don't think it conflicts with the Manzella Academy interests, and TT certainly claims a scientific basis.

BUT, Brian's new rules state a purpose for the forum - and it isn't the discussion or positive appraisal of other people's methods or teachings.

And whilst TT lays claim to a scientific underpinning (as do numerous other schools, methods, teachers) I wouldn't expect you to be in a position after a school to bring back the raw data or scientific proof. Valid and genuine impressions as a student, absolutely, but not the science.

So to me, an awful lot depends on how the new forum rules are going to be interpreted and enforced. I hope you can post a review. But then I'd like anyone to be able to review a school or a book or a method - and get constructive criticism, debate or comment in return. Although I understand that it would be even better if it could happen without turning into a pissing contest.

Birly,
There is a Yale study;

Towards a Biomechanical Understanding of Tempo in the Golf Swing

Robert D. Grober
Department of Applied Physics
Yale University
Jacek Cholewicki
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Yale University

The actual paper is 16 pages so I didn't paste it(you can google it), but there is definitely science involved. Is it definitive? I am not sure, but the PHD's are definitely looking and dissecting it.
I am not a defender because I haven't yet experienced it, however it is definitely science based and clearly mathematical in nature.
I am always seeking to find secrets and discoveries that might help me be better at anything, but especially golf!
now to find out if it actually works....

Last edited:
Hey Ric, you mentioned that you read the book when it came out. Did you try the workout video that accompanied the book? How about the tempo tunes?

I have the book/cd and believe there will be a point where this will be able to help my game, however, I am not there yet.

evidence

Great. we have a study published in a peer reviewed journal from an institution with credibility. We can look up the study and we find the professors consulted with Ledbetter and Mike Hebron. Two folks most of us would accept as reliable pro/teacher consultants. Sometimes I feel some of these studies are carried out without consultation with strong pro/teacher with the knowledge to properly criticize study design. So this would have to be ranked as an acceptable study and added to the data base. I would hope that Brian would file this in the "tempo" file and make it and all related studies available to forum members as we go down this road of a "science forum" In like manner if swinging comes up any documenting or refuting studies can be evaluated, credibility established and filed for forum members to access. Then we would be getting somewhere. My swing speed meter also measures the duration of swings and is at least ten years old. Now I anxiously await the three D studies that are posted as references and have members critique the location and number of sensors etc. Who were the consultants and was the study set up to measure what was needed to draw the conclusion

Great. we have a study published in a peer reviewed journal from an institution with credibility. We can look up the study and we find the professors consulted with Ledbetter and Mike Hebron. Two folks most of us would accept as reliable pro/teacher consultants. Sometimes I feel some of these studies are carried out without consultation with strong pro/teacher with the knowledge to properly criticize study design. So this would have to be ranked as an acceptable study and added to the data base. I would hope that Brian would file this in the "tempo" file and make it and all related studies available to forum members as we go down this road of a "science forum" In like manner if swinging comes up any documenting or refuting studies can be evaluated, credibility established and filed for forum members to access. Then we would be getting somewhere. My swing speed meter also measures the duration of swings and is at least ten years old. Now I anxiously await the three D studies that are posted as references and have members critique the location and number of sensors etc. Who were the consultants and was the study set up to measure what was needed to draw the conclusion

Jeff, is that you?

great example

I am who I say I am. This is a great example of where I would like this forum to go. Lets have the scientific articles backing up the discussed topics referenced. Then we all can look them up and discuss their merits and flaws. Perhaps this would encourage the golf science research folks to come on this site and discuss with us their papers. Wow would that be great. I looked up the article that applied and was surprised that ledbetter and hebron had consulted. That added credibility for me. I have read some articles where they just picked golfers. I could see good golfers that know nothing of the science of the golf swing being chosen. I could see researchers knowing lots about motion etc but little about the golf swing. Perhaps they had discussed their study design with the local pro. So I am then immediately leary of where they are placing sensors to measure things. I would assume that going foward
Brian and other knowledgable pros will be called on more often to help design studies to achieve answers. I look foward to seeing more of the supporting articles referenced for our comments. I am excited about the 1.68 project.
A book that is science based written in simple terms with lots of supporting references would be a great achievement for Brian

I don't want this thread to go where it seems to be going so let's please stop worrying about acceptable or not please
Back to the topic
I read the book but to be honest I messed with for a day or 2 because I didn't have a wireless heAdset to use. I hope to ask alot of questions and really understand if and why it works
Thanks
Ric

I read the book but to be honest I messed with for a day or 2 because I didn't have a wireless heAdset to use. I hope to ask alot of questions and really understand if and why it works
Thanks
Ric

The tunes are on a CD which can be put on an Ipod or any MP3 player and taken to the range. Best of luck at the clinic. Look forward to your review.

I put it on my iphone and pluged in my Motorola s10 wireless headset and headed for the range. it was freaky how solid I was hitting the ball! I have worked so hard to make my modified NHA that Brian taught me almost automatic ("dig to China, back extension" I have said it in my head so many times it has developed it's own melody)but the added tempo was really, well, freaky.
if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask the Tour Tempo people just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.