Tournament Preparation/ Club Championship Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, to all of you experienced tournament players out there, aka Kevin Shields, Brian Manzella, Lindsay,etc. etc.

for a lot of us amateur hacks it's tourmanent/club championship season.

so what are your suggestions for getting ready in the last couple of weeks. I'm thinking I've got to go with what i have swing wise, so I'm spending almost all of my time

a. Lag/short putting
b. Chipping/Pitching, anything inside a hundred yards.

I'll hit 50-100 full swings a day, focusing primarily on the Driver and Wedge-7 irons, since most of my approaches will be with those clubs. Probably very little work with the long irons, since in a typicaly round, I'll only pull out a long iron a couple of times.

Any help is appreciated.

thx

I think your practicing the right stuff, but I will tell you right now, you have just enough time to really solidify your pre-shot routine. Spend some time on the practice tee going through imaginary holes using th pre-shot. I used to think it was a bit silly, but over the last couple seasons I've really started to commit to it and it does put some Teflon in ones game.

Great info Lindsay, I have a pretty good routine for my putting, but haven't really developed one for my full swing shots.

interesting, so if you haven an hour, you would say go play four holes instead of practicing... hmm.

Why can't you practice on the course you are about to play a tourney on? Not sure what your practice facilities are but if they are like mine you are just hitting balls into an open area. Why not hit into a green rather than nothing?

I do play quite a bit, but sometimes it's tough to practice a lot on the course due to groups pushing you. So if I can't get in at least 9 I typically will head to the practice green and work on short game.

Lindsay, any chance I could get you to describe your preshot routine, both putting and full shots? Hate to hear about the loss, but sounds like you grinded to hang in there as long as possible.

Full shot -

1. Decide where I want my ball to end up.
2. Get my yardage.
3. Check lie.
4. Check wind.
5. Decide on yardage actual.
6. Choose shot and club.
8. Get behind ball and visualize shot as I want it to be - not moving on till I can see it mentally.
9. Pick spot 1 ft in front of ball.
10. Twirl club with right hand as I step into posture.
11. Look at starting point target.
12. Look at alignment spot on ground.
13. Locate ball.
14. Slight forward press and swing.
15. Look up to see ball on its way to chosen target.

Putting-

1. Mark ball look at read from behind ball.
2. Walk my line as close as possible (without interfering with others lines) to feel with my feet.
3. Read putt from opposite side of hole.
4. Move to low side of overall break and read the putt from the side.
5. Place ball and align my line on the ball.
6. Step back to verify ball line alignment and see the putt mentally rolling into the cup.
7. Step into posture, twirl club with right hand while looking at my aimpoint.
8. Eyes trace path back to ball and once I see my ball, slight forward press and say to myself mentally ONE..TWO.
9. Putt goes in.

Last edited:

hp12c

New
Full shot -

1. Decide where I want my ball to end up.
2. Get my yardage.
3. Check lie.
4. Check wind.
5. Decide on yardage actual.
6. Choose shot and club.
8. Get behind ball and visualize shot as I want it to be - not moving on till I can see it mentally.
9. Pick spot 1 ft in front of ball.
10. Twirl club with right hand as I step into posture.
11. Look at starting point target.
12. Look at alignment spot on ground.
13. Locate ball.
14. Slight forward press and swing.
15. Look up to see ball on its way to chosen target.

Putting-

1. Mark ball look at read from behind ball.
2. Walk my line as close as possible (without interfering with others lines) to feel with my feet.
3. Read putt from opposite side of hole.
4. Move to low side of overall break and read the putt from the side.
5. Place ball and align my line on the ball.
6. Step back to verify ball line alignment and see the putt mentally rolling into the cup.
7. Step into posture, twirl club with right hand while looking at my aimpoint.
8. Eyes trace path back to ball and once I see my ball, slight forward press and say to myself mentally ONE..TWO.
9. Putt goes in.

Hey Lin do you see the clubhead strike tha ball or do you lose sight of it somwhere between the DS and strike?

Lindsay, thanks so much for sharing your routine. I think it's something I really need to nail down, I'm guessing it greatly diminishes the pressure since you stay focused more on the routine as opposed to swing thoughts, etc.

hp12c

New
No, I don't think I actually see it.

Ok me too. The reason I ask I was at the range and another golfer commented to me while I was taking a break that he noticed I looked away from the ball and looked to the sky before the club hit the ball and he was surprised how well I was striking the ball. I wonder how many more people also not see the strike?

If you are in brianid and Johnny Miller's corner and you believe you can intentionally open or close the face while you are making contact with the ball you had better not only see it but see it well. Good luck with all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.