Trackman and slow club head speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone experimented with slow swings (70MPH or less) on a trackman?
I am curious about what the minimum swing speed is to create a big enough yardage gap between clubs that would make a beginning golfer want to continue to play golf after they learn the basics. I have given may golf clinics and lessons to new golfers and it seems that the people that can hit the ball a minimum of at least 100 yards with an 8 iron are the people that eventually turn into avid golfers (people that want to improve and play more golf). There must be a minimum MPH that needs to be achieved to get 5 to 10 yard gap between clubs with a full swing.

ggsjpc

New
Has anyone experimented with slow swings (70MPH or less) on a trackman?
I am curious about what the minimum swing speed is to create a big enough yardage gap between clubs that would make a beginning golfer want to continue to play golf after they learn the basics. I have given may golf clinics and lessons to new golfers and it seems that the people that can hit the ball a minimum of at least 100 yards with an 8 iron are the people that eventually turn into avid golfers (people that want to improve and play more golf). There must be a minimum MPH that needs to be achieved to get 5 to 10 yard gap between clubs with a full swing.

I think you have it right. I don't know what the minimum speed is but I can tell you that it is not a constant. A person can get decent gapping in the short and mid-irons without hardly any on the long irons. In order to really use a three iron, the club has to be seriously movin'.

Very few golfers should be using a three iron and I'm talking about low handicapppers unless they mess with the lofts.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Old 3 irons had 24 degrees of loft, that is the loft these days of some 5 irons. It also explains to me why there are huge gaps.

I would also like to see some trackman data on slow speeds as well.

what about the new golfer that hits all or almost all their clubs the same distance? what is the minimum mph needed to not hit all the clubs in the bag the same distance?

Z

Zztop

IMO with the current lofts of today; unless you can swing a 5 iron in the 90+ range, you should have hybrids for the 3/4/5

With hybrids it's not just the lofts that help, there are other factors that make them more friendly.Properly designed hybrid clubs that have the same loft as their long iron counterparts make it much easier to get the ball up in the air to fly because hybrids are much "thicker" than conventional long irons.

This greater face-to-back dimension of the hybrid long-iron replacement heads allows the center of gravity to be positioned much farther back from the face. This, in turn, results in a much higher trajectory for a shot off a hybrid club compared to a traditional long iron of the same loft. In other words, at equal lofts the hybrid - with its center of gravity farther back from the clubface - will help the golfer get the ball up into the air on a higher trajectory than a long iron (whose center of gravity is much closer to the clubface). of course i'm just giving an educated guess.

Last edited:
Anyone else have trouble squaring the face on hybrids, but not on long irons? I would really like to take advantage of hybrids, but I can't square them. Never found one I like. Long irons on the other hand are some of my most trusted clubs. Step up on a narrow par 4 with a long iron, and I'll hit the fairway almost every time.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Anyone else have trouble squaring the face on hybrids, but not on long irons? I would really like to take advantage of hybrids, but I can't square them. Never found one I like. Long irons on the other hand are some of my most trusted clubs. Step up on a narrow par 4 with a long iron, and I'll hit the fairway almost every time.

Are you a flipper?

Status
Not open for further replies.