trackman impact question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When trackman gives a reading of say zero degrees for the clubface alignment at impact, does it take into account the lie angle of the club at impact also. If the lie angle of a 6 iron is 61 degrees at rest and returns at something other than that, does trackman take that into account.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes.

0° Face Angle means the HORIZONTAL COMPONENT of the top vector of the D-Plane, the clubface normal right after impact, is pointing straight.

So yes, that by definition, takes into account the lie angle.

It helps if you realize that Trackman/Flightscope considers the face just a planar surface that is moving in a 3D Path (Horizontal Path, Angle of Attack) and facing a 3D direction (Horizontal Face, Dynamic Loft) and that's it. Pretend that it has no hosel, and no shaft. With no hosel, Trackman would have no idea about lie angle since it considers the face independent.

Thanks Brian and MJ........good answers and thanks. Am I right though in thinking that any change in the vertical angle the shaft arrives at impact from what the angle it was at address, does have some effect on the alignment of the clubface. The more upright, the more to the right.....the flatter, the more left. A clubshaft that has 62 degrees at address makes contact with 65 degrees would have an effective clubface that would be more open?

Thanks Brian and MJ........good answers and thanks. Am I right though in thinking that any change in the vertical angle the shaft arrives at impact from what the angle it was at address, does have some effect on the alignment of the clubface. The more upright, the more to the right.....the flatter, the more left. A clubshaft that has 62 degrees at address makes contact with 65 degrees would have an effective clubface that would be more open?

In a theoretical world, those two factors could be independent of each other. Now, in the real world, there is probably a positive correlation of forward shaft lean to face openness, but somebody else would be more qualified to comment on that than myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.