Trackman Session - your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from a Trackman session at Auld Golf in Kannapolis, NC.

First of all, if any of you live in NC (and can't drive to see a BMA instructor) I wouldn't hesitate to visit Auld Golf. The owner (Tom Nunn) really opened his NICE facility up for me to use. He charges $40.00 an hour for the Trackman. Great service, personable and knowledgeable! I will be going back for sure. . .

Anyway. . . in my session here are some averages from 10 seven iron swings. I need help interpreting the results.

Club
Club Speed = 89.4 (is this decent with a 7iron?)
Attack Angle = -2.1
Club Path = 2.0 (is this inside-out or outside-in?)
Vert. Swing Plane = 63
Horiz. Swing Plane = 0.2 (what is this?)
Dynamic Loft = 25.4
Face Angle = -1.2 (open or closed?)

Launch
Ball Speed = 120.1
Smash Factor = 1.34
Vert. Angle = 20.1
Horiz. Angle = 0.2 (dunno what this is either?)
Spin Rate = 6534
Spin Axis = -2.0
Max Height = 36.1

Landing
Carry = 172.1
Side = -3.7
Flight Time = 6.26
Landing Angle = 49.5

Total
Length = 177.8
Side = -4.3

I would really appreciate being able to understand the finer points of trackman data evaluation. Can anyone educate me? What are some swing improvements I can make? (If you can tell from this.)

Video to come as soon as my new camera arrives. I will post ASAP.

Remember. . . If you are in North Carolina and can't visit Brian or Kevin for a trackman session check out Auld Golf.

Last edited:
I just got back from a Trackman session at Auld Golf in Kannapolis, NC.

First of all, if any of you live in NC (and can't drive to see a BMA instructor) I wouldn't hesitate to visit Auld Golf. The owner (Tom Nunn) really opened his NICE facility up for me to use. He charges $40.00 an hour for the Trackman. Great service, personable and knowledgeable! I will be going back for sure. . .

Anyway. . . in my session here are some averages from 10 seven iron swings. I need help interpreting the results.

Club
Club Speed = 89.4 (is this decent with a 7iron?) sure is
Attack Angle = -2.1
Club Path = 2.0 (is this inside-out or outside-in?)inside out
Vert. Swing Plane = 63
Horiz. Swing Plane = 0.2 (what is this?)plane line .2 degrees inside out
Dynamic Loft = 25.4
Face Angle = -1.2 (open or closed?) closed

Launch
Ball Speed = 120.1
Smash Factor = 1.34
Vert. Angle = 20.1
Horiz. Angle = 0.2 (dunno what this is either?)where the ball started in relation to target. .2 degrees to the right
Spin Rate = 6534
Spin Axis = -2.0
Max Height = 36.1

Landing
Carry = 172.1
Side = -3.7
Flight Time = 6.26
Landing Angle = 49.5

Total
Length = 177.8
Side = -4.3

I would really appreciate being able to understand the finer points of trackman data evaluation. Can anyone educate me? What are some swing improvements I can make? (If you can tell from this.)

Video to come as soon as my new camera arrives. I will post ASAP.

Remember. . . If you are in North Carolina and can't visit Brian or Kevin for a trackman session check out Auld Golf.

have you read this?
http://thebrandingengine.com/WAMUser/UserFiles/243/File/TrackmanDataReport.pdf

Last edited:
I randomly selected one of the shots from the sample I had. Here it is. . .

Club
Club Speed = 88.3
Attack Angle = -2.6
Club Path = 1.4
Vert. Swing Plane = 61.6
Horiz. Swing Plane = 0.0
Dynamic Loft = 25.3
Face Angle = -0.2

Launch
Ball Speed = 119.8
Smash Factor = 1.36
Vert. Angle = 19.3
Horiz. Angle = 0.2
Spin Rate = 7167
Spin Axis = -2.0
Max Height = 36.2

Landing
Carry = 171.6
Side = 2.7L
Flight Time = 6.18
Landing Angle = 49.4

Total
Length = 176.1
Side = 2.8L

That's a very long 7 iron. I guess I'm sort of surprised that your club of choice was 7 iron instead of Driver. Driver stats are the most commonly posted stats.

Also, if any one is interested. Here are my club distances and gaping.

Average of ten swings, carry distance, in yards. Number in () is gap.
52 = 114
PW = 127(13)
9 = 139(12)
8 = 154(15)
7 = 168(14)
6 = 179(11)
5 = 191(11)
4 = 200(9)

That's a very long 7 iron. I guess I'm sort of surprised that your club of choice was 7 iron instead of Driver. Driver stats are the most commonly posted stats.

To be honest. My irons are hitting much better right now then my driver. I can't hit it for crap. Working on that one. But I still do need to improve my iron swing.

I am a former flipper who has worked on NSA (twistaway) with a SD 1.0 back swing. Some of my misses are a littler left. Some start left and go further left.

I will be uploading video Saturday afternoon. That, along with the numbers above should be able to give you guys a good idea of my swing issues.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
JT, the 2 horizontal numbers you inquired about. HorSW plane is the base of the plane you are swinging on. In other words, its the direction your swing is going before you take into account attack angle (its the line on the ground your club would trace). Horizontal launch is just "did your ball start right, straight or left", very simple.

The only thing i see is the swing is a little upright (61 to 64 degree plane angle) and a little toward the heel. Anytime you get a touch steep from the inside you run the slight chance that it would be difficult to round the swing off to the left and it might bring the heel into play. (as does a million other things) Looks like you're a solid ballstriker?

Is the $40/hour hitting only with no instruction? If yes, what would it cost with instruction?

I don't think the shop has anyone that teaches. Just club fitting. Most of the people that use it (not many) are there just to get their numbers to buy clubs or improve swing.

Are you able to asses lie angle with the data given by Trackman. Are my lie angles correct?

Kevin said something about me hitting it on the toe. How does he know that?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You cannot tell from just the numbers if your lie angle is correct.

I actually guessed heel hits because your path/face relationship should produce a slightly higher draw spin axis.

You cannot tell from just the numbers if your lie angle is correct.

I actually guessed heel hits because your path/face relationship should produce a slightly higher draw spin axis.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Kevin, your help is so appreciated!!

Here is a little history of my swing: I started playing at about 9 or 10 years old. I didn't have anyone in my life that was good at golf to show me how to correct my swing flaws (i.e. clubface). I might have made a living playing this game. I was your typical young kid who grew up playing baseball. Great swing. Probably tons of lag. Proper release. But the ball started right and went more right. I slowly self taught myself to cast the club and come over the top to square the face. (years of practice doing it wrong. . . I mean 15yrs) I SO wish I could go back and give my 11 year old self Brian's NSA video. AH, to start from square one with the right information would be so VALUABLE!! But I digress. Fast forward to 3 years ago. I was introduced to this site by holeout. After about two years of practice with Never Slice Again principles coupled with Former Flipper drills I have my swing to the point where I think I am ready for more advanced understanding and implementation of golf theory and how it relates to my swing.

With my history in mind. . . I have some questions for anyone who wants to lend a hand.

Let's look at some Trackman numbers (different swing from above) . . .

7iron - one swing
Club Speed = 90.6
(This is on the high side of my average with a 7i usually between 88-91)
Attack Angle = -2.6
Club Path = 3.1 (all 15 swings were between 2.5 and 3.2)
Vertical Swing Plane = 63.0 (all between 61.3-63.6)
Face Angle = -1.8 (all were negative)
Spin Axis = -9.3
Carry = 172.2
Side = 12.4L (ouch. . . all were left)

Obviously, the relation of my face angle with my club path is going to produce a shot that starts left and goes more left. (that is my miss) But what I want to know is which one should i work on adjusting? Should I keep my club path and vertical swing plane the same and adjust the face so that it is slightly open. OR should I keep my face slightly closed and work on an outside-in swing path? I can only assume that on the swing above that if my face was open by 1 degree then the result would have been a baby draw right on target? or if my club path was -3.1 (outside-in) then the result would have been a power fade?

I guess what I am asking (granted you haven't seen me swing yet) which one would you rather me try based on my history and numbers. What are some drills to accomplish this goal?

Thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.